NVIDIA Drops Their Open-Source Driver, Refers Users To VESA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by synthil View Post
    Then use their software. What's the point of using Linux, a clearly inferior solution to proprietary ones such as Windows 7 and Mac OS X?

Linux is considered a cheap, superior solution where server platforms are concerned. Easy to deploy, secure, very light, and gets things done. But on a desktop platform? It's a liability.

I love Linux, I love the open-source community (you're right, which Stallman has provided a hell of a lot for, even if he is rather deranged). If I wanted the best desktop experience (and indeed the best 3D experience), then I'd migrate to Apple software. If I wanted the best 3D gaming experience, then I'd migrate to Windows. But I don't.

How can you maintain this glorification of proprietary software while still clinging to Linux? Why use desktop-oriented FOSS at all?
    There are a lot of reasons, specially if you live outside USA.
    • Here, in Chile, a license of Windows 7 Home Premium can cost one third of one family's income. And Chile is a middle-income country. Please, imagine African families. Would you buy a license of Windows if it costs $4,000?. In purchasing power, it's something like that for a lot of families here. And we can't afford anything Apple-made (the most basic iMac can cost here $2,000, thanks to the marvel of freight, and that doesn't include the translation into purchasing power). So, our choices are Linux and Windows XP Unattended Edition (a very popular pirate distribution of cracked Windows and a lot of cracked software). And as you may know, that's illegal. We need Linux in the desktop.
    • How can you develop a software industry, in a developing country, with proprietary software? In the Windows world, you must update yourself or die. In Linux world, you can learn C and be a powerful developer for years to come. Obsolescence isn't an issue with Linux. We need free software, so developers can study the code, learn to code, and code their own solutions. With five Windows' licenses you can cover the wage of a full time developer here, so it's cheaper too for our industry. We need Linux in the desktop.
    • How can you respect the rights of your people? I'm doing my thesis to be a lawyer, and, really, open source is, like a Peruvian deputy said, a need for a State respectful of human rights. In Brazil, the voting system is electronic and powered by free software. A government entity holds the source code, and anyone can request a copy and review the whole system. Tell that to Diebold. For electronic government, and for a strain of savings along all the not-so-well-funded government offices here, we NEED Linux on the desktop.
    • How can you introduce your children into the world of computers? For the price of four Windows Starter licenses, you can build a computer here. So, every four computers here you can have a fifth one with the savings, perfect for a country with a computers deficit. And, since the epoch of Windows XP Angelical, BioWindows and the like is fading thanks to Microsoft, we'll start to see massive Linux defections very soon. WE NEED LINUX IN THE DESKTOP.

I know that NVidia's is a less than ideal solution, but it's a good solution, because NVidia is enabling a lot of free software to work at its fullest. They maintain a good working Linux driver, and in exchange, every computer I have has a NVidia graphic system. And don't forget their driver is free (as in price), so they aren't charging a dime for it. And that makes all the difference for us, people who lives in a country less developed than your beloved USA.

If you want serious 3D gaming, please, forget about the computer and buy a console. They come with the same kind of DRM that PC games, so, there's almost no difference. Maybe better graphics, but if you are into that, buy yourself a PS3. Gaming is not cheap. And NVidia efforts can convince a lot of independent game writers to write their games also for Linux, make them free software (as in freedom) and release them. For one, I seriously doubt that Nexuiz could exist if the blob released by NVidia hadn't been released at all.

NVidia has started the Linux gaming trend. And we must thank them for that. Let the Nouveau team have the torch of the reverse engineering efforts, and recognize the nv driver as a useless piece of crap that, thanks to God, is now dead.

Comment

I haven't used an nivdia blob in 6 months. This would have upset me if it were 2008.

Comment

That was well put, Alejandro! Thanks for sharing your opinion in an articulated fashion. I enjoyed reading it.

Comment

I cant for the life of me see why people have a problem with nVidia's descision.

I think the results from the last Phoronix graphics survey speak for them selves. Do the numbers. How many people use Linux? How many of those use nVidia? Of those nVidia users, how many use the open source driver?

Comment

Nvidia are liars! You can not trust such a company.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
              Nvidia are liars! You can not trust such a company.
              Interesting. What did they lie about exactly and how damaging are those lies. nVidia customers need to know!

Comment

There are a lot of reasons, specially if you live outside USA.
                Wow, that post suffers from a serious case of TL: DR.

I hope you understand the concept of rhetorical questions, my friend. I didn't mean to ask what the point of Linux as a desktop was (speaking as a fervent user and supporter of desktop Linux myself, after all). Rather, I attempted to ask 'deanjo' why he chose to use an arbitrary FOSS distribution, made from GNU and Linux software, as the optimal system for his needs, especially given that he was so reliant on commercial, proprietary software.

Comment

Oh, and I don't live in the US!

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                    Interesting. What did they lie about exactly and how damaging are those lies. nVidia customers need to know!
                    They said some time ago that they will continue to add basic support to xf86-video-nv driver, and now this...

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                      They said some time ago that they will continue to add basic support to xf86-video-nv driver, and now this...
                      Didn't they add some support lately?

In fact, yes they did. See: "Finally, NVIDIA ION Support In xf86-video-nv"

I don't think they ever said it would be kept around for eva. I might add though, why would anyone run an nVidia card of any description with the open source driver? If you wanted an open driver and specifically refused to run a blob then up until Nouveau hits maturity an ATI card would be a much better bet. I don't know why anyone would be arguing for nv to be maintained. If nVidia intended to develop it into a useful driver long term then you might have a case but the feature set provided by the driver has always been a "just enough to display something" solution. It's largely only ever been good enough for getting to the nVidia site to download the blob.

Again, look at how many people actually use the nv driver. You're asking nVidia to waste money and resources keeping it up to date for no valid reason. Even when it comes to ATI cards you have people calling for the elimination of either the open or closed driver so that they can concentrate on just one or the other. Bottom line. Anyone using the nv open driver with an nVidia GTX 295 will still likely get a better experience from a 2 years old on-board graphics solution from Intel. nVidia have done the right thing in my view. Nouveau is they way forward for nVidia open drivers even though nVidia themselves aren't producing it and they have also stated openly they will not stand in the way of the Nouveau development.

Comment

Working...
                      X