Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molar View Post
    @xeros:

do you want specific data or settings that I can pull from my system? I'm using a gigabyte card on a gigabyte K8ns pro motherboard. Please tell me if you want to check something specific.
    Thanks, just if you could tell me if S-video is working now everytime you poweron your computer. In my case reboot was not sufficient to brake it - I've needed to cut the power off after shutdown of PC to show that S-video tv standard was not properly set/enabled.

I've installed VLC and configured it to show the full screen on the TV using the XVideo overlay settings in the program. I've encoutered some loss of gamma (known problem) and set it during the player. The video isn't perfect to my tase, but I think that's more of a decoder problem. will have to check it out later.
    I don't see a gamma problem here - IMO video is very good (for S-video capabilities), a lot better than it was in WinXP few years ago.

anyway, I think that the dekstop is a bit sluggish sometimes, another problem is small vertical lines on the right end of the screen when I open a menu (occurs only sometimes) and the visual effects always revert to "none" even after I set them to "normal". I really hoped that ubuntu will supply at least the same graphic performance of WinXP, but it give a bit more sluggish graphic response.
    Do this bugs exist on Lucid, too?
    I've had some of these - small coloured horizontal but not vertical lines at upper marigin of desktop sometimes on Kubuntu 9.04 or 9.10 but I haven't saw any on Lucid, yet.
    No problems with visual effects (in KDE on Kubuntu), too - since I've upgraded from 9.10 (to 10.04 beta) I think it's always working and I can enable/disable them when I want to without problems.
    I haven't noticed any sluggish graphic response, too - whole desktop (with effects) works a lot better than on recent NVidia card (with it's binary drivers) at work. And I have two KDE fully loaded at the same time everytime (multiseat configuration with two simmilar Radeon R3xx cards). The system is a bit less responsive only at logging in into KDE - it's because of two instances of KDE loading at the same time and preload service for most used applications.

Take a look at system processes and CPU/RAM usage - maybe there's in background something that eats yours PC resources.

Comment

1. After updating the kernel, svideo worked just out of the box every time. no need for further configuration (except from the first time just to define the screens resolutions.

2. I've got WinXP on the same computer. no need for everything video is crystal clear. on Lucid it's seems that the codec isn't perfect. I've read about this on many places. I going to try Mint linux that is bundled with the codecs, to see maybe it's better there.

3. I'm working on Lucid now. the system isn't sluggish, but there is a small feeling of "slow" sometimes. I can't put my finger on it. I will check this out in a while. I think I'll let Lucid work through some updates a bit.

Comment

1. After updating the kernel, svideo worked just out of the box every time. no need for further configuration (except from the first time just to define the screens resolutions.
        Good to hear that it works without problems for you but so it has to be only mine problem.

2. I've got WinXP on the same computer. no need for everything video is crystal clear. on Lucid it's seems that the codec isn't perfect. I've read about this on many places. I going to try Mint linux that is bundled with the codecs, to see maybe it's better there.
        I'm curious what's that. Do you have any link to talk about this? Or maybe a photo of the screen? :-)
        I have two options on TV inputs when I get video from PC - it's 'AV2' and 'SVHS'. On 'AV2' option I some litle color problems (not totally different colors but something like not properly set/lost some contrast and gamma maybe) but on 'SVHS' I get good clear picture and video from my PC. It's only a change from remote control of TV, not the cables. Maybe it's something like that what do you have?

3. I'm working on Lucid now. the system isn't sluggish, but there is a small feeling of "slow" sometimes. I can't put my finger on it. I will check this out in a while. I think I'll let Lucid work through some updates a bit.
        I'm not using Ubuntu but Kubuntu from few years and I always see that the default configurations eat too much resources of my PC - for example update-apt-xapian-index, update-notifier-kde, popularity-contest, virtuoso-t, etc... You have to look at running processes what eats yours resources. Sorry if you know it already but on KDE (Kubuntu) it's Ctrl+ESC shortcut but I don't know if it works the same in Gnome (Ubuntu). You can always watch processes on console, too - it's 'top' command.

Comment

Hi Xeros, I had (well... my girlfriend had...) the same problem with s-video, then I installed kernel's packages from your ppa, but problems still persist.

In her Acer Aspire 3020, with an ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700, I can't get the s-video to connect: xrandr always says it's disconnected, while with dmesg I have "[drm] crtc 1 is connected to a TV" and the tv screen is completly black.

I'm using KMS on Ubuntu Lucid and I have no Xorg.conf file.

Any clue? What info could be useful to resolve the problem?

Comment

TV out doesn't work on R4xx cards (X700 and X800 variants).

Comment

Thanks for the information agd5f. I suppose there are few chances it will worked out in the future, too...

Comment

Working...
              X