Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ati 5770 or still a nvidia

He all .

I have a question : I'm looking for a new grafic card .
    I hear a lot about the 5770 from ATI .
    But sinds I'm running kubuntu 9,10 and want to upgrade to 10.4 by the end of the month .
    I wanna ask if this card is any good for kubuntu.
    Also I play world of warcraft it must be compatible with that .
    So what to do ati or nvidia .

Ps: is crossfire possible under Linux maby I buy 2 5770 if it runs good

Greets Kamelot

Never buy 2 slow cards instead of 1 fast cards. In theory you could use it, but if you will get happy i don't know. When you mainly use Linux then i would prefer nvidia still. Just is Nv about 6 month late with DX11/OpenGL4 cards - and GTX 470 as cheapest product in a few days will no be a top seller for casual gamers.

Comment

Oke then i will stay with nvidia .
      Then i think im going to take a 260 or the 275 if there any where to be found

Comment

AMD/ATI want you to wait, say, 10 yrs until the card is fully supported so it's up to you.

Comment

ya i know what you mean .
          i just wanted to know if the drivers got a little better but as i guest there still terrible .
          Dont really get it why nvidia drivers are way better then amd/ati drivers .
          if you see what the people can do with not all the info why cant they make a good driver with all the info .
          Or just hire some guys that know what they are doing

Comment

Originally posted by kamelot View Post
            ya i know what you mean .
            i just wanted to know if the drivers got a little better but as i guest there still terrible .
            Dont really get it why nvidia drivers are way better then amd/ati drivers .
            if you see what the people can do with not all the info why cant they make a good driver with all the info .
            Or just hire some guys that know what they are doing
            I was kidding but maybe a hint of seriousness.

I think ATI has the better hardware but it's frustrating that Nvidia seems to have the better FEATURES AND DRIVERS. But, they don't seem to be innovative at hardware. Well, this is what I read. Decide for yourself. I also read that this is one reason they are slow at introducing open source stuff but that is probably a controversial accusation. I am not saying I think that but I found it to be an interesting allegation to say the least.

Comment

The drivers are ok (IMHO, I own a HD5770), but they don't work well with wine.

If you're playing a lot of WoW, you'll either have to dual-boot or buy an nvidia GPU. Which sucks, because nvidia doesn't have anything interesting in terms of hardware at the moment. :/

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                The drivers are ok (IMHO, I own a HD5770), but they don't work well with wine.

If you're playing a lot of WoW, you'll either have to dual-boot or buy an nvidia GPU. Which sucks, because nvidia doesn't have anything interesting in terms of hardware at the moment. :/
                Wel i dont really care about things i can do with it
                i just want power .
                And i know ati is stronger ad that point but if i wanna play wow on kubuntu i dont wanna spend ages getting it running.
                And ad the end still need to boot in windows or buy a nvidia card.
                Tobad windows is so crap XD

@ Panix : hehe oke ya sorry im not a native english speaker or writer .

Comment

Originally posted by kamelot View Post
                  i wanna play wow on kubuntu i dont wanna spend ages getting it running.
                  oh, it's pretty easy to get wine running with fglrx: install and run. But after playing for an hour or two, the system freezes.
                  (at least that was my experience with gentoo, HD 5770 and fglrx 9.12. YMMV. It only froze on the more complex 3D games like Guild Wars, simple 3D-games or non-3D-applications work fine.)

Outside of wine, fglrx has been very stable for me. More stable than the nvidia driver I had used before switching.

Comment

oke thats kinda good to know .
                    is the crash related to the driver then ?
                    Or is the card just overheating or something ?

Im a bit scared of amd/ati sinds i have spend a few weeks getting a ati card running on my girlfriends laptop .
                    Had to do so many tricks then to get wow running on that thing .
                    Almost dumped it in the trashcan

Comment

Working...
                    X