Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oke so to let you guys know .
    I got 2 sapphire 5770 ad this moment .
    I installed 1.03 drivers from the site ubuntu drivers did not work .
    Easy set up and all .
    But as mentioned before total system crash when I play wow and wine I don't think its the temp because I set my fan speed to 75% normal 40% .
    I check most of the time the temp is has not been above the 48 .
    I'm trying to find what it is .

Is it crossfire
    Or is it the temp that it is not showing the right one.
    Is it the driver .

Going to try to disable crossfire see what happens .
    Also see what happens In kubuntu 10.4 beta.
    In Windows all works good with some tweaks in wow

Comment

ati 5770 or still a nvidia

maybe there is a solution for those ATI probs which ends in disconnects - at least it works on my PC.
      it is not depend on graphical settings in IL-2 game but in the ATI Catalyst Control Center.
      Since I used some standard settings like "High quality" or "Optimal quality" I never get a disconnect again.
      and I hope, that this will be so for the next missions.

Comment

Oke I did some testing .
        Disable and the crashes are way less .
        What I also found is flash and a game like wow on my part complete total crash .
        Even in windows the whole pc just go nuts .
        Also when alt+tab sometimes wow seem to hang and alt tab did not work .
        But if you use your mouse on the task manager ( you will see it blink the mouse that is)
        It will go back to normal .
        Kubuntu 10.4 also works but did not have the time to test long .
        Around 2 hours without a crash

Comment

Wow, maybe replace your PSU...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Wow, maybe replace your PSU...
            Just got a brand new one a corsair 850w .
            When I got the time I will pull out the second card see what happens then .
            I know it sounds all bad .
            But its only when playing a game .
            But I'm going to contact the store where I bought it see what they say .

Comment

Well then it is most likely Crossfire related, that's why i would ALWAYS prefer 1 fast card instead of 2 slower cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well then it is most likely Crossfire related, that's why i would ALWAYS prefer 1 fast card instead of 2 slower cards.
                Ya going to see what it dus with one card .
                Last time I will by a crossfire combo .
                It's fun but not maby plus points

Comment

There are two articles with benchmarks for these cards HD 5770 from OCT '09 on this site. No followups and constant complaints of drivers problems. This is half a year ago. What is the expected time frame for working drivers? I am talking about the binary driver. OSS is ongoing and improvements of mostly 2D, I think. But, if you want overall support for general use, what do you do?

I cannot consider a new ATI card if I want or expect to use Linux. If I want to watch a movie with MPlayer or run google earth, I can't with a new ATI card even though the card has been out more than 6 months ago. That is too slow!

It sucks but to consider a Nvidia card, old or new (not Fermi, as it's not even released yet, really), I would have everything working right away. Yeah, it sucks not having OSS choices but the ATI card will probably still not be working optimally 6 more months later.

Comment

Does mplayer not support GL output ? I was under the impression it offered both gl and gl2 output options.

What is the issue with Google Earth ? Any chance you're thinking about the open drivers there ?

BTW I haven't tried video playback with open drivers on HD5xxx but in the early days of radeonhd (before HW acceleration) the -vo x11 option worked surprisingly well with shadowfb, although I don't think there was a way to sync to vblank there.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      BTW I haven't tried video playback with open drivers on HD5xxx but in the early days of radeonhd (before HW acceleration) the -vo x11 option worked surprisingly well with shadowfb, although I don't think there was a way to sync to vblank there.
                      Lack of sync to vblank is tearing, and that's exactly what you get with oss drivers and Evergreen. So IMHO useless, but if you are one of those who is oblivious to tearing, I guess you could say it's working surprisingly well

Comment

Working...
                      X