ati 5770 or still a nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    How long have you been waiting to buy a new video card? Seems to me you have been asking the same questions over and over again for some time now. So you can wait to buy a new video card until the drivers are good enough for you, or you can buy a new video card now and wait till the drivers get better. Either way you wait

FWIW I also have an Evergreen card, but I put it back in the cardboard box. Hope that makes you doubt a little longer
    Yeah, see the sacrifice I've been doing for ATI??!?

I'm leaning towards getting an older but cheaper ATI or Nvidia (aka non-Fermi) card and do a wait and see after that (for Evergreen). I haven't even bought a NEW video card before!

The only desktop video cards I've ever owned was an ATI Radeon X300SE and my current one, a Nvidia EVGA 7950GT.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      How long have you been waiting to buy a new video card? Seems to me you have been asking the same questions over and over again for some time now. So you can wait to buy a new video card until the drivers are good enough for you, or you can buy a new video card now and wait till the drivers get better. Either way you wait
      Or you buy a nvidia card, slap it in, install the blobs and use it to it's full potential sacrificing the "Buy it an wait for something that can make my card perform like a 2 year old card running featureless and slow OSS drivers".

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Or you buy a nvidia card, slap it in, install the blobs and use it to it's full potential
        I think that choice would be a lot easier if Nvidia also had the better hardware. It seems to me that besides the low end cards all they've got to offer is gas-guzzling toaster ovens

Comment

More like a frying pan...
          http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1264/1/

Comment

I think, with a modified heatsink, a GTX 480 would definitely cook an egg. FINALLY! Something actually useful that a Radeon HD 5xxx can't do!!!

Comment

Maybe with two GTX 480s in SLI you could get a panini press...

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                duh.. if you want to enjoy movies, why did you train your eyes to spot the errors?

It should be noted that tearing seems to look different depending on the circumstances. A compositor can change the looks and amount of the tears, because it changes the memory access patterns and may add it's own synchronizing issues.

only light 3d apps, I spawn a separate X server for most games (habit from nvidia days, where I didn't want a driver crash to take down my main X server). But glxgears, neverball and snes9x on wine with openGL output work as expected. Using kompmgr from kde 3.

I had tried kde 4.4 for a few days, but it's still too slow and unusable for my tastes. kde 3.5 has to suffice for a while longer
                There were a couple of gfx bugs, general slowness and a few program crashes - roughly the same amount of uglyness as I had with kde 4.3 on nvidia, so it's probably kde.
                Ieeee hits the brakes

Can you tell me how to run wow on another xserver .

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                  Yeah, but paranoia comes easy with ATI cards, doesn't it?
                  No. It comes easy from reading too much phoronix forums

Originally posted by kamelot View Post
                  Can you tell me how to run wow on another xserver
                  sure. make a script that starts your app
                  ~/run_wow.sh
                  Code:
                  #!/bin/bash
                  wine "C:\\WoW\\WoW.exe"
                  make it executeable
                  Code:
                  chmod u+x ~/run_wow.sh
                  and add this command to your start menu or something.
                  Code:
                  xinit ~/run_wow.sh -- :1 -br
                  The second x server will be uninitialized and will not have a window manager running. Add the needed initialization commands to your ~/run_wow.sh (like changing resolution, nvidia-settings --load-only, starting a window manager if needed etc).

Comment

Oke thanks so that means that if you cntrl alt f7 you will be back in kde or gnome whatever you use .
                    I wanna check if my wow will still crash when playing with my ati cards

Comment

yes, you can switch between the servers with Ctrl-Alt-F6 / F7.

Keep in mind though that this will only protect your main X server if the second X server crashes, resulting from a crash in X or the userspace drivers. It won't help you against hangs in the kernel module, which will simply lock up your whole computer or at least leave your gfx subsystems in an unusable state.

Comment

Working...
                      X