Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing AMD's New FirePro Linux Driver

Phoronix: Testing AMD's New FirePro Linux Driver

Earlier this month AMD rolled out a new workstation graphics card driver, which is effectively the same Catalyst driver used by the consumer-oriented Radeon graphics cards but with greater testing and certification for the ATI workstation offerings. The press release announcing this new driver was titled "Application Performance Increases By Up To 20 Percent with Latest ATI FirePro Graphics Driver," so we decided to see if this proprietary driver really lives up to its claims under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice improvements but there is one problem SPECViewPerf 10 for benching unfortunately and that is that almost none of it's tests are relevant in linux anymore.

Pro/E and CATIA are no longer supported in linux in there newest versions and Solidworks, 3DSMax, and VisMockup never have made it to linux. I'd be more interested to see the performance improvements on linux applications such as Maya, etc.

Comment

I'd love to see the performance of the new driver in desktop apps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Nice improvements but there is one problem SPECViewPerf 10 for benching unfortunately and that is that almost none of it's tests are relevant in linux anymore.

Pro/E and CATIA are no longer supported in linux in there newest versions and Solidworks, 3DSMax, and VisMockup never have made it to linux. I'd be more interested to see the performance improvements on linux applications such as Maya, etc.
        These were my first thoughts too. Why don't benchmark something that has a native linux version e.g. one of Ansys' products. You might want to pick IcemCFD or the Designmodeler (afaik it has been recently released to *nix).

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
          These were my first thoughts too. Why don't benchmark something that has a native linux version e.g. one of Ansys' products. You might want to pick IcemCFD or the Designmodeler (afaik it has been recently released to *nix).
          We don't have access to it.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            We don't have access to it.
            I'll ask around if there are any publicly available benchmarks and ping you if I find anything.

Comment

was there ever a linux version of 3ds max?
              would love to see a new release for linux (the last win-application i really need)

Comment

So these benchmark scores could just be better wine support? An opengl game benchmark might be interesting, as THAT would be news.

Comment

Working...
                X