Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Gentoo consumes time, please test Funtoo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Gentoo consumes time, please test Funtoo.

I know phoronix is not willing to test Gentoo due to its source-compiling philosophy. In this case, you may want to take a look at Funtoo, a variant of Gentoo (not a fork).

Funtoo has built for the following architectures already, so you really don't need to compile anything.

Stable Unstable Processor 32/64
    amd64 ~amd64 Generic Intel or AMD 64-bit Processor 64-bit
    phenom ~phenom AMD Phenom/Family 10 65nm Processors 64-bit
    core2 ~core2 Intel Core 2 Series, i5, i7 or i9 Processor 64-bit
    N/A ~core2_32 Intel Core 2 Series, i5, i7, i9 or Atom Processor 32-bit
    opteron ~opteron AMD Athlon 64 or Opteron Processor 64-bit
    N/A ~opteron_32 AMD Athlon 64 or Opteron Processor 32-bit
    x86 ~x86 Generic x86 processor (intel 80486+) 32-bit
    i686 ~i686 Generic P6-class (Pentium Pro/Pentium II compat.) 32-bit
    N/A ~athlon-xp Athlon XP or Athlon 64-based CPU (32-bit mode) 32-bit
    N/A

It would be appreciated if Phoronix could show us the performance comparison among these architecture stages on the same Intel/AMD CPUs.

That would leave php and xorg to compile, but it's true - that's still a lot less time consuming than installing Gentoo and rebuilding it with cpu tuned CFLAGS.

Comment

xorg is modular in gentoo now and really takes no time to build on modern machines.... php will probably take the most time ..... but again we are talking about wasting 10 min of your life, not a big deal for some real interesting benchmarks

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
        Funtoo, a variant of Gentoo (not a fork).
        Funtoo is not Gentoo. It is a fork. Like Sabayon, it tries to maintain some compatibility though.
        Funtoo has built for the following architectures already, so you really don't need to compile anything.
        Funtoo does not do away with the need of compiling. But it is my understanding that not the need for compiling, but rather the lack of an automated installer is what keeps Phoronix from including Gentoo in its benchmarks.
        It would be appreciated if Phoronix could show us the performance comparison among these architecture stages on the same Intel/AMD CPUs.
        Why don't you do it yourself? The Phoronix Test Suite can be downloaded and run by anybody (some already did run it on Gentoo).

Comment

Maybe it would be better to ask for benchmarks of Calculate Linux as this is a Gentoo based Distro with an installer.

Comment

That would leave php and xorg to compile

Comment

Calculate Linux Desktop (CLD) has Xorg integrated so that would leave only php to compile

Comment

Yeah, if you want out-of-box precompiled and nicely set-up 101% Gentoo compatible distro it is Calculate.

101% because it is actually totally gentoo, own overlay, own profile etc. Take Stage3 gentoo, add calculate overlay and profile, emerge the world and you have Calculate from source.

No gentoo-based desktop distro is capable of this.

Funtoo is special case, it is gentoo as seen by its founder Daniel Robbins. It is more optimized to his tastes, has git based portage tree instead of rsync, kernel more geared towards RHEL compatibility. Its more a niche fork, than a desktop distro.

Comment

CLD benchmarks are being run at the moment and will be published in a week or two.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X