Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix To Tour Chernobyl Nuclear Site

Phoronix: Phoronix To Tour Chernobyl Nuclear Site

While a slight deviation from our usual roundabout with Linux news, benchmarks, and graphics driver articles, two weeks from today I have the unique opportunity to tour the Chernobyl disaster site and surrounding areas like the deserted Pripyat and Red Forest. As those into technology (like those reading Phoronix) seem to have interest in Chernobyl whether it be due to computer games they have played that are based around the Chernobyl site or simply due to the history and fascination by nuclear power and the unfortunate disaster in Ukraine, I will be posting some photographs and HD videos from what Chernobyl looks like in 2010. This will be on Phoronix and potentially a new Phoronix Media site for hosting the high resolution versions and the media may be potentially CC-BY-NC-ND licensed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd love to go there sometime as well, it's somehow fascinating

A lot of fansites related to the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. have done community trips to those places in the past. I would have loved to go

Comment

Michael, could you elaborate on how/why you get to visit Chernobyl? How "hot" is the area; will you need to wear protective gear, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by jbrown96 View Post
        Michael, could you elaborate on how/why you get to visit Chernobyl? How "hot" is the area; will you need to wear protective gear, etc.?
        lol xD

Comment

interesting read:

it's an area mostly untouched by humans for 24 years. should be interesting

Comment

Wow, this is random. My first thought was, "Wait, WHAT?". My second thought was the same... My third thought was that I live A LOT closer, yet I have never had any desire to visit that ghastly place.

Comment

It's a serious question. AFAIK you can go into most areas of the exclusion zone for brief periods without protective gear but you probably want to have someone in the group monitoring radiation levels.

If you want to poke around near the reactor I imagine you would want some serious protective gear for even a short visit, but the abandoned cities are probably safer, as long as you don't stay there for long.

Food and water are probably a concern as well. I imagine everything needs to be trucked in...
              Test signature

Comment

"Didn't you work in a nuclear plant before?
                - Yeah, in Chernobyl."

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  It's a serious question. AFAIK you can go into most areas of the exclusion zone for brief periods without protective gear but you probably want to have someone in the group monitoring radiation levels.

If you want to poke around near the reactor I imagine you would want some serious protective gear for even a short visit, but the abandoned cities are probably safer, as long as you don't stay there for long.

Food and water are probably a concern as well. I imagine everything needs to be trucked in...
                  You just need to shoot a deer. I understand that they now roam the area as if they own the place and are phenotypically unaffected by the radiactivity.

Comment

Originally posted by frische View Post
                    interesting read:

it's an area mostly untouched by humans for 24 years. should be interesting
                    The photos are interesting, but the story behind them is a hoax:
                    A month or two ago a woman named Elena posted a travelogue on the web about her solitary motorcycle ride through the deserted area around Chernobyl. With all the eerie pictures she took of the abandoned, irradiated 'ghost town,' her travelogue quickly became one of the most linked-to sites on the net. Now there are accusations that her travelogue wasn't completely honest. Apparently she didn't go around alone on a motorcycle. She went in a car with her husband and a friend. Elena defends herself, admitting that much of her story was 'more poetry' than reality, but noting that most of it was still reality. I'm inclined to side with her. The pictures of Chernobyl, and what it's become, were real. How much does it really matter that she made them more interesting by wrapping them in a tale about a solitary motorcycle ride? (via JohnFord.net)

Comment

Working...
                    X