Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Offloading PRIME May Get Improvements

Phoronix: GPU Offloading PRIME May Get Improvements

A week ago we reported on open-source GPU offloading, which allowed multiple GPUs from different vendors that were backed by open-source graphics drivers to offload the 3D rendering work to a secondary GPU and then to pass the rendered result back to the primary GPU driving the display. This open-source work referred to as PRIME was based on NVIDIA's Optimus Technology. This work was done by David Airlie just as a proof of concept and he doesn't intend to get the work completed and shipped in the upstream packages, but is hoping to hand off this task to someone else...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No hardware available? Go and buy it. I would be happy to buy one if I had skills and time to contribute, except that I already own the hardware but not the latter.

Comment

I'd say a vendor should sponsor this, its a good thing that needs to be done.
      And haxOr, not everyone has the spare cash to buy a notebook. Also, if you're working on something for a company you wouldn't be happy if the company said you should buy the thing by your own funds and no the seemingly endless company stack.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: GPU Offloading PRIME May Get Improvements

A week ago we reported on open-source GPU offloading, which allowed multiple GPUs from different vendors that were backed by open-source graphics drivers to offload the 3D rendering work to a secondary GPU and then to pass the rendered result back to the primary GPU driving the display. This open-source work referred to as PRIME was based on NVIDIA's Optimus Technology. This work was done by David Airlie just as a proof of concept and he doesn't intend to get the work completed and shipped in the upstream packages, but is hoping to hand off this task to someone else...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODA4NQ
        We are also looking for enthusiastic students to apply for mentorship. David Airlie has agreed to mentor someone with basic kernel and linux graphics knowledge to do this over the summer. That is why we are looking for hardware sponsorship. My role is solely to encourage this to happen by polling the community.

Comment

It isn't possible to ask for donations to buy the hardware in question?

Comment

We are looking for students with basic Linux kernel/graphics notions
            interested in applying for the X.org Open Source PRIME multi-gpu
            support Google Summer of Code 2010:

We are also looking for Linux users with Nvidia Optimus-enabled laptops
            willing to provide debugging information for Open Source PRIME
            multi-gpu support features being worked on. Please join the team and
            send an email to the mailing list specifying your laptop model.

You can check the model, version and graphic card details of you laptop with this command:

sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
            sudo dmidecode -s system-version
            lspci -vnnn | perl -lne 'print if /^\d+\:.+(\[\S+\:\S+\])/' | grep VGA

This team is a group of hybrid graphics laptop owners and/or developers interested in getting them to work 100% under Linux. Please join this team if you are new by clicking on the "Join Team" link at the right of the Launchpad page. It's important to have as many users in the community as possible to request for appropriate support, even if you found a non-obvious way to make it work for you. There are different ways to enhance your Hybrid-graphics laptop under Linux which can be split int...

Comment

Why not simply use a board with Intel onboard + dedicated gfx card with onboard not disabled in bios?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Why not simply use a board with Intel onboard + dedicated gfx card with onboard not disabled in bios?
                I was thinking the same.

I have a desktop system at home that has an onboard nvidia 6100 and a separate discrete card...

I don't know if my level of knowledge is high enough... but I'd be interested (even if google sponsorship is not in the cards).

I'm a moderately experienced C coder (3 years working on AIX), but I've done nothing in the kernel beyond compiling it, and have only the vaguest idea what happens inside xorg drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Because that's not how the real Optimus works.

Comment

Working...
                  X