Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.34-rc2 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.34-rc2 Kernel Released

Some 18 hours ago the Linux 2.6.34-rc2 version was tagged and is now available, but oddly we have yet to come across a kernel release announcement from Linus Torvalds. However, for those interested in the Linux 2.6.34-rc2 change-log is available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe Linus Torvalds is busy with something.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      Maybe Linus Torvalds is busy with something.
      He's reinstalling Fedora again.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        He's reinstalling Fedora again.
        Most likely that's the case

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          Most likely that's the case
          I still can't believe Fedora 12. Download a fresh ISO, install it, try to do system updates, and it errors out and will not and cannot install them. I'm sure there's a workaround, but I just don't have the patience for it. Fedora has always had problems with upgrades breaking shit, be it how they manage their repository or difficulties with the RPM packaging system, it's always been a chaotic nightmare, which is why I switched to Debian and derivatives.

Yeah, I know Fedora is more bleeding edge, but come on. I'd expect more crashes, but not *total breakage*. I think Fedora will forever be a "development distro" in my mind, not suitable for normal use. Like to take a peek now and then to find out about new features coming down the pipe, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            I still can't believe Fedora 12. Download a fresh ISO, install it, try to do system updates, and it errors out and will not and cannot install them. I'm sure there's a workaround, but I just don't have the patience for it. Fedora has always had problems with upgrades breaking shit, be it how they manage their repository or difficulties with the RPM packaging system, it's always been a chaotic nightmare, which is why I switched to Debian and derivatives.

Yeah, I know Fedora is more bleeding edge, but come on. I'd expect more crashes, but not *total breakage*. I think Fedora will forever be a "development distro" in my mind, not suitable for normal use. Like to take a peek now and then to find out about new features coming down the pipe, but that's about it.
            +1
            Exactly because of this I couldn't stay with Fedora.
            On a different note, this is a rare case where Red Hat is (slowly but steadily) loosing. Not cause it can't compete but cause it suffers from split personality. On one hand its bosses only see value in the server market, on the other hand other Red Hat folks understand that Ubuntu might get almost unbeatable because of its huge desktop success and the network effect which comes along, and the network effect is a beast that's often almost impossible to crack - that's biggest the long term threat.

So what happens is Red Hat is doing the hard work on kernel, video and other stuff and Canonical is smart enough to put in the missing (desktop) bits and arrange them to ride the tide set up by Red Hat. Not exactly accurate statements but you get the basic points.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              and the network effect is a beast that's often almost impossible to crack - that's biggest the long term threat.
              Oh come on! what network effect?!

The documentation of other Distros like Arch or Gentoo is way better. There is virtually no Software available that you wouldn't get on other Distros (except the stuff nobody wants like Ununtu One). The Packetmanager is in many points inferior to others (just try to delete Gnome). The stability isn't that great and it's even more bad when you upgrade between different Ubuntu Versions.
              What I like in Ubuntu is that it is made totally stupid-safe that's why I install Ubuntu on every computer which is owned by a person with bad computer knowledge.

I think in time there will come another Distro and everyone will start using it.
              If you can tell me what exactly this network effect is then I might believe you.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                +1
                Exactly because of this I couldn't stay with Fedora.
                On a different note, this is a rare case where Red Hat is (slowly but steadily) loosing. Not cause it can't compete but cause it suffers from split personality. On one hand its bosses only see value in the server market, on the other hand other Red Hat folks understand that Ubuntu might get almost unbeatable because of its huge desktop success and the network effect which comes along, and the network effect is a beast that's often almost impossible to crack - that's biggest the long term threat.

So what happens is Red Hat is doing the hard work on kernel, video and other stuff and Canonical is smart enough to put in the missing (desktop) bits and arrange them to ride the tide set up by Red Hat. Not exactly accurate statements but you get the basic points.
                Far from accurate I think. Red Hat continues to invest very heavily on a wide spectrum of components including several desktop technologies. You might want to refer to

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post

There was a bug in PackageKit and unfortunately it is a bit of chicken and egg problem because you wouldn't be able to get the fix without updating first.
                  The workaround in that case is simply running yum update in the command line.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    There was a bug in PackageKit and unfortunately it is a bit of chicken and egg problem because you wouldn't be able to get the fix without updating first.
                    The workaround in that case is simply running yum update in the command line.
                    Then you might want to push such a critical update into the iso, but I'm sure the reason for that is those in charge thought doing a yum update was easy enough so there was no need. It is an incredibly silly and easy fix yes, I know how to use yum and rpm believe me, but that's not the point. Such an issue may be seen as a simple problem by those managing Fedora, but it's a pretty damn large deal breaker for those average computer users looking for an easy desktop to use. It's a total turnoff, it might as well pop up with a message that says "Install Ubuntu instead!".

Because of polishing issues like this, it's fair to say Red Hat isn't as good as Canonical at delivering a desktop for average computer users, whatever the reasons. That's how things will remain until policies and practices for those who manage Fedora change.

I really like Red Hat for many reasons as well, you and the community have all made some great GUI apps (and of course all the awesome server contributions) that desktop users appreciate which do a lot in filling some of the gaps in the Linux desktop experience. It's too bad then that Fedora management can't get its act together, define tighter goals, and make sure their desktop is more usable and average user-friendly so that it can better compete with Ubuntu on the desktop end.

Again, harder to do since you're more bleeding edge? No doubt, but I still think it's doable...or maybe work out a different release schedule scheme so that things are a bit more stable come time for the final release. Until then, like I said, it'll stay a developers desktop. Great if you want to help debug and contribute, not great if you want to just use it.

Comment

Working...
                    X