Heroes of Newearth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes of Newearth

I have a ATI Mobility FireGL v5200. Does anyone know if the current drivers are capable of playing Heroes of Newerth with acceptable fps?

With my limited knowledge about graphics i Linux I don't want to spend time trying to get something to work that wont work anyway.

I don't know if that FireGL is r600 based or r300 based, but my r600 based Radeon 4850 plays Heroes of Newerth just fine. You have to use Mesa 7.8 though which hasn't been released yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
      I don't know if that FireGL is r600 based or r300 based, but my r600 based Radeon 4850 plays Heroes of Newerth just fine. You have to use Mesa 7.8 though which hasn't been released yet.
      wait?
      hon runs without weird giant buildings now?
      can you post a screenshot?

Comment

Oh yeah, you're right. Buildings are still messed up. I forgot about that.

Comment

IIRC the FireGL V5200 is similar to an X1600/X1650, so it has maybe 1/10 the shader power and 1/4 the pixel throughput of an HD4850.

That said, a lot of apps running on the open source drivers are CPU bound at this point so the performance difference would be a lot less than that.

My recollection was that HON started to came to life on 6xx/7xx when the first GL 2.0 support was added to the driver. If that is the case, then you might have better results with the Gallium3D driver instead of "classic" mesa. Either way you're going to want to run with a KMS stack, and the easiest way to get that is to pick up a *very* recent distro build.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            IIRC the FireGL V5200 is similar to an X1600/X1650, so it has maybe 1/10 the shader power and 1/4 the pixel throughput of an HD4850.

That said, a lot of apps running on the open source drivers are CPU bound at this point so the performance difference would be a lot less than that.

My recollection was that HON started to came to life on 6xx/7xx when the first GL 2.0 support was added to the driver. If that is the case, then you might have better results with the Gallium3D driver instead of "classic" mesa. Either way you're going to want to run with a KMS stack, and the easiest way to get that is to pick up a *very* recent distro build.
            From my test earlier, I did notice that with the special effects turned on like Post Processing, Refraction, and Dynamic Lights, the game ran at less than 1fps. Turning those off with Medium Setting made the game playable.

Comment

From my test earlier, I did notice that with the special effects turned on like Post Processing, Refraction, and Dynamic Lights, the game ran at less than 1fps. Turning those off with Medium Setting made the game playable.
              are these effects at least doing, what they are supposed to do, or do you get weird stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                are these effects at least doing, what they are supposed to do, or do you get weird stuff?
                I couldn't really tell. It was too slow to really move the camera around.
                And I don't know what to look for that well. :P

Comment

I couldn't really tell. It was too slow to really move the camera around.
                  And I don't know what to look for that well. :P
                  glowing shiny effects and rippling water

Comment

Who started the game on the open source driver?
                    What video card and driver,mesa?
                    check glxinfo |grep -i opengl

Comment

Working...
                    X