No announcement yet.

Heroes of Newearth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh well apparently this wasn't related to changes in mesa at all. I still get a black screen with mesa from over a month ago. So it's apparently something different that's broken HoN for me... maybe a HoN update?
    Is there no one else on this forum who's using r300g to play HoN? :<

Comment

Still works fine here. I am using the xorg-edgers ppa.

Comment

Ah, I got it. It was libtxc_dxtn.so which was causing this. When it's installed HoN appears to try and use it, which obviously fails (no big surprise there, as libtxc_dxtn.so is really ancient and unmaintained). After removing the library HoN is working fine again.

Comment

I think there's a bug somewhere. It's only happened to me twice before but the game will crash and when I try to run it again it will seg fault. It's pretty rare and it doesn't work until I reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by rob2687 View Post
            I think there's a bug somewhere. It's only happened to me twice before but the game will crash and when I try to run it again it will seg fault. It's pretty rare and it doesn't work until I reboot.
            Is there anything in dmesg? This seems to be a page allocation failure.

Comment

This issues with r300g sounds familiar to me, problem with libtxc_dxtn.so is probably this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28459 , fixed some time ago, there is a patch but I'm not sure in which kernel version it was committed. And problem with crash could be this one: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28443 . (this also works fine with newest kernels). I'm now playing HoN with 2.6.35-rc2 with patch from bug 28459 and I haven't experienced any problems so far (except quite low framereate sometimes and ugly graphic compared to my nvidia machine).

Comment

I looked through some logs and there doesn't look like much to go on.
                Here's what I found in the kern.log

Jun 27 21:51:53 robert-desktop kernel: [ 4825.129793] hon-x86[5918]: segfault at 1c ip 0733261b sp bfb26f30 error 4 in vid_gl2-x86.so[72b0000+102000]

Comment

Working...
                X