Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Gets Another ATI Catalyst Driver Handout

Default Ubuntu Gets Another ATI Catalyst Driver Handout

Phoronix: Ubuntu Gets Another ATI Catalyst Driver Handout

Well, to no surprise the trend of Ubuntu receiving unreleased Catalyst drivers has continued. Since Ubuntu 8.10, AMD has had to supply Canonical with early Catalyst drivers not otherwise publicly available so that they could ship with support for their binary Catalyst driver within the operating system's package repository...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODA4MA

You should edit the article, as you are waking expectations that won't be met. Catalyst 10.3 will be released on wednesday as stated by AMD's CatalystMaker on Twitter, but it won't contain Xserver 1.7 support. The Catalyst driver release now found in Lucid is based upon the Catalyst 10.4 series.

Wait a second there. 8.70 is release 10-2. So release 10-3 should be 8.71, with 8.72 being 10-4. The first build that I noticed that came with an "early Lucid support" tag was 8.72 (like the one released now for Lucid).

Doesn't work for me.I have black screen on login.People you have been warned.

The Linux community is growing all the time. Are ATI mad in giving sales to Nvidia?

Quote Originally Posted by kUrb1a View Post
    Doesn't work for me.I have black screen on login.People you have been warned.
    Are you sure you have the new driver installed? Most if not all servers don't offer the driver so far, but will in a few hours!

Check apt-cache policy xorg-driver-fglrx for 8.721!

Quote Originally Posted by 0e8h View Post
    The Linux community is growing all the time. Are ATI mad in giving sales to Nvidia?
    They have always been a DirectX centric company. That is why they had better DirectX performance than they had OpenGL drivers when properly tuned drivers in the past should have always had OpenGL outperform DirectX. From what I have read, the low-overhead feature in DirectX 10 was an advantage OpenGL had over DirectX for a while.

As i expected before now U got a prerelease driver. Somehow they managed to create broken binary debs. The new names is just fglrx instead of xorg-driver-fglrx, but in the already prebuild binaries the file /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf is MISSING. When you want to use it:
    Code:
    dget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/fglrx-installer/2:8.721-0ubuntu1/+files/fglrx-installer_8.721-0ubuntu1.dsc
    dpkg-source -x fglrx-installer_8.721-0ubuntu1.dsc
    cd fglrx-installer-8.721
    debuild -b
    Then the missing file is there. Will test with pbuilder later... Do NOT try to install those debs on Debian, that will NOT work!

Update: the ld.so.conf is in the i386 deb but NOT on the amd64 one! So you have to do those commands only for amd64.

If someone actually gets it installed please tell if that "Direct2D" is working?