Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing The Power Management Of Ubuntu 10.04

Phoronix: Testing The Power Management Of Ubuntu 10.04

This morning a call for testing went out to try out the new pm-utils-powersave-policy package that should be making its way into the Lucid Lynx repository in time for the release of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS next month. This package offers up several fixes and new power savings features that should help those mobile users running Ubuntu 10.04 to prolong their battery life. We tested out this new package with a notebook and netbook to see how it changes the power game for Ubuntu 10.04 along with whether it's much of an improvement over the current Ubuntu 9.10 release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just tested this out an saw no real power-savings. At most it may have dropped my power consumption by under a half watt.

There are far more obvious things to fix here other than those ones.

like patching a browser for low cpu usage, reducing the amount of wakeups caused by the trackpad in laptops (this by far is the worse cause).

I wish canonical would refocus from boot time to powersaving. Does not one think of the children,

Comment

Is there a chance of seeing a power consumption comparison between Windows and different Linux distros? I have no idea how do this values compare to the rest of the market...

Comment

generally windows wins because of better driver optimisations.

Comment

benchmarking the systems is ok, but wouldnt it be much more interesting to take a look under the hood and try to figure out what exactly generates the differences? just my 2p.

Comment

Originally posted by 0laf View Post
            benchmarking the systems is ok, but wouldnt it be much more interesting to take a look under the hood and try to figure out what exactly generates the differences? just my 2p.
            You'll find that over on Phoronix's sister site, phoronix-for-uber-geeks.com.

...ok that's a lie. But I agree it might be nice to find out about specific issues that are the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
              generally windows wins because of better driver optimisations.
              But by what margin? Is it true for all the platforms? etc. I think this would be interesting to see.

Comment

Working...
              X