rv410(legacy) and rv630 mixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rv410(legacy) and rv630 mixed

i have two monitors. one on an x1250 (rv410) IGP, which is only supported by legacy catalyst or the free drivers, and the other on a hd2600pro (rv630) card, which needs catalyst to be usable (mostly because of power management).
    What are my options to use them both?

do i have to use catalyst 9.3 like with windows? would 9.3 even work with modern distros?

I don't understand. Are these two GPU's in the same computer? and you are trying to run one monitor of the IGP GPU and another of a PCI GPU... I didn't think this was possible.

Even if it was possible for a bios to initialize both and IGP and PCI, you can't run both the radeon driver and fglrx driver in the same X session.

So, unless I am missing something really simple (happens all the time), your best bet is to buy a pcie GPU that can run two monitors.

Comment

yes, two gpus. the igp on the motherboard and an hd2600 card.
      THere is a bios option called "Surround View", which allows them to be both active.

ok. fglrx+free is apparently ruled out.
      what about fglrx(new) + fglrx(legacy)?
      or fglrx(legacy) for both cards?

Comment

Originally posted by frische View Post
        yes, two gpus. the igp on the motherboard and an hd2600 card.
        THere is a bios option called "Surround View", which allows them to be both active.

ok. fglrx+free is apparently ruled out.
        what about fglrx(new) + fglrx(legacy)?
        or fglrx(legacy) for both cards?
        Here is a thread that might help
        Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

although, I think with surroundview on linux the IGP's have to be in the same range, like R500, R600, etc.

just so you know, you can't run two separate drivers (or more specifically kernel modules) in the same session. You can't install both a legacy and new fglrx at the same time; it is one or the other and then that driver will handle both monitors.

Why not just run both monitors from your hd2600pro? Surely it has two physical ports, use fglrx and configure both monitors however you wish.

Comment

I replied, but since I included a link and I am a junior member, it needs moderator approval first.

What I was trying to post was a link to these forums that discussed surroundview in linux. Use the advanced search and look for a thread from "kjdixo"

Comment

thank you. i had found it before but dismissed it because the OP did not have a card that was moved to legacy support. he just had problems configuring one fglrx driver.

Comment

I think your best option is to run your two monitors of one of your graphics cards using fglrx. Trying to use two cards simultaneously (when they are not both pcie) is difficult, and since you are not getting the benefit of hybrid graphics, there isn't much point.

Comment

i don't see the connection to pcie or hybrid graphics.

yes, i could connect both lcds to one card, but i'd have to buy a new dvi cable for that (now they both use vga). one option.

Probably I will for now just install an opensuse 11.1 or another distro that is supported by the 9.3 catalyst.

Maybe at the end of the year, the free driver will have proceeded far enough to accommodate my needs...

Comment

i don't see the connection to pcie or hybrid graphics.
                  Well, hybrid graphics uses two gpus as one, this gives you greater 2d/3d performance. Hybrid graphics is easier to establish between 2 distinct PCIE cards, than between a PCIE and IGP. (at least on linux in my experience)

What you are trying to do, two monitors on separate gpus from the same OS, gives no graphical benefit, thus I recommend using just one card.

yes, i could connect both lcds to one card, but i'd have to buy a new dvi cable for that (now they both use vga). one option.
                  DVI > VGA adapters are cheap and easy to find, most new graphic cards come with one.

Probably I will for now just install an opensuse 11.1 or another distro that is supported by the 9.3 catalyst.

Maybe at the end of the year, the free driver will have proceeded far enough to accommodate my needs...
                  I think I must be missing the point... you can use the fglrx driver right now with your hd2600 and almost any linux distro...just plug both monitors in, install the driver, open the catalyst control center, configure your monitors, reboot...done. Trying to run another monitor of your IGP is not worth it, it just isn't that powerful of a chip for the effort!

Comment

the point is i am stingy and don't want to spend any money, not even for a cheap adapter.

Comment

Working...
                    X