Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Shall We Benchmark Next? Let Us Know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're basically imply that there's no substantial difference between a regular OS (OSX/Seven/Ubuntu) and one in the PS3?

OS that need to do anything (PC OSes) and OS made for just few thing (gaming&multimedia for VG console) are both heavily optimized.. but in different directions.
    It's pretty improbable that you will able to print documents with a ps3 (when you start a game all services get stop.. so even an eventual printer service)... music change if you put linux in a PS3, then with CUPS.

But the PS3 gamers don't give a f~~ about CUPS.. they want a kernel that run God of War smoothly and fast: so the PS3 kernel force all the hardware to serve resource (cpu/ram/bandwidth...) for gaming.

Comment

I'd like to see comparison between latest desktop enviroments and window manager resource usages after KDE 4.5 is released.
      Things like how much they take RAM, occupy processor, how taxing indexing is (nepomuk/strigi vs. whatever-gnome-uses), how taxing heavy file transfer operations are (at least KDE 4.4 has difficulties when using Dolphin) and application startup speeds.

Would be interesting, as it would be first of its kind if going in-depth.

Comment

I like this article of latest web browsers performance on windows 7 from toms hardware.

Maybe something similar could be done on linux, I know that there are a lot more important things than benchmark tests for browser (comfortability easy of use...). But it is always nice to know how the latest features are working on them, plus start up times and memory management are very important too.

Comment

Storage:
          Benchmark NexentaCore w/ ZFS Deduplication
          SATA 7200rpm 1TB+ drives for the pool
          Add SSDs for L2ARC and ZIL

Then compare the same hardware with similar beta/alpha version filesystems on other OSes.

Comment

Sata 7200? kids stuff. Test U320 or SAS 15000rpm drives.

And nexenta - when you give Michael one he will probably do it.

But for some reason, nobody cares about that stuff anymore. Hm. Must be the zfs greatness.

Comment

What is it with all the trolls around here?

Comment

well, your posting leads to the conclusion that you are one of the trolls. Do you have a nexenta box to give to Phoronix? Where should they get one - for free?
                And 7200rpm drives in a serious setup? That is children stuff.
                I have a Poweredge, several years old, with 15000rpm drives...

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  well, your posting leads to the conclusion that you are one of the trolls. Do you have a nexenta box to give to Phoronix? Where should they get one - for free?
                  And 7200rpm drives in a serious setup? That is children stuff.
                  I have a Poweredge, several years old, with 15000rpm drives...
                  NexentaCore is a free distribution of OpenSolaris with some Linux Userland.
                  The point was to see how I/OPS were affected by the SSD read cache and write bitmaps. I have more than 100TB offsite in WMS100s and it's no child's play, I assure you.

It would be nice if you knew something about about a topic before trolling it.

Comment

100TB. That is like... 20 average desktops nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      100TB. That is like... 20 average desktops nowadays.
                      Cool story bro. SAN != Desktop

Comment

Working...
                      X