Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    1) they are part of the PTS test suite
    2) it is the only real application that pushes recent hardware to it's limits
    3) it shows off the potential of what could be done in linux if game developers got their heads out of their asses.
    4) they are a linux friendly developer
    Heh... Nicely said deanjo. Especially "3". I'd have to agree there.

Comment

I'm also highly interested in this advanced multi platform engine. Unigine seems like the latest attempt of being a really top notch engine even on Windows and they support Linux. I'd really like to see some playable games in the near future though, so we have proof that there Linux support was not only a theoretical thing.
      Keep the updates coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        1) It's on a par with Crysis for eye-candy.
        2) At least one studio is planning on shipping a Linux version with this engine, possibly more.

I'm interested in the engine as much as anything because it's able to show that you don't "need" Direct3D, etc. to make the engine go well- OpenGL 3.X is just fine and does just as nicely.
        There is no need to show superiority. It is there by design.
        I think the following post will explain you and others that it's like always, MS PR department success. No real advantage at all.
        Often, when we meet other game developers and say that we use OpenGL for our game Overgrowth, we're met with stares of disbelief -- why would anyone use OpenGL? DirectX is the future. When we tell graphics card representatives that we use OpenGL, the temperature of the room drops by ...

We have to blame NV and ATI for designing HW only to support DX features. Some day i hope this will change.

Comment

With respect, the problem has been that the OpenGL features were getting defined *after* the corresponding generation of hardware was developed, while DX features were being defined *before* the hardware was developed.

Looks like this is changing, which is great news.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            With respect, the problem has been that the OpenGL features were getting defined *after* the corresponding generation of hardware was developed, while DX features were being defined *before* the hardware was developed.

Looks like this is changing, which is great news.
            They certainly seem to have gotten on the ball more recently, perhaps partially due to all the criticism of OGL3.0 when it was released.

Comment

Working...
            X