Benchmarks: Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, openSUSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
    I thought of the same. KMS and in case of UMS screen size matters as well.

If screen size was set bigger than current display resolution, it could cause worse performance (counts to UMS only).
    That's intresting. Why screen size affects only UMS performance and not KMS?

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
      BTW,...has anyone tried new BFS-315 with 2.6.33.I don't want to move from 2.6.32,I just don't want to break fglrx now that it actually works ok (most of the time).
      It seems there's only one change:

If you're playing games and listening to the music in Amarok same time and thus your game runs much slower (because of BFS bug or something) this one change should fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Works for you, doesn't work here. it's funny to read this, because you were laughing in another thread saying "works for me".
        It's funny how you always jump in to trash the work of someone who improved Linux for a lot of users. As if you outright hate the work or something.

So, half of those tests is thanks to BFS, not mesa, KMS etc? Maybe many PCLinuxOS users aren't affected? Yes, it will suck till it will be more stable. I recommend you to shut up, because what you said is idiotic. Seriously, some people are idiots. It sucks because it kills mouse and keyboard input not because it didn't won them all.
        It's also funny how you call names when you run out of arguments in a discussion where there were no flames to begin with. Says a lot about your personality.

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
          As i understand and I may be wrong ,PCLinuxOS was always different from Mandriva only thing they have in common is packages and not many of them and that's it.Just sometimes when they stuck in releasing new content and making something new they return to the roots.But even then they would change everything to match their ideology.

BTW,...has anyone tried new BFS-315 with 2.6.33.I don't want to move from 2.6.32,I just don't want to break fglrx now that it actually works ok (most of the time).
          PCLinuxOS 2010 was built from the ground up using the packages in our repository. These packages may be original creations such as the KDE 4.4.1 tree but may also contain repackaged and modified srpms from Fedora, OpenSuse and Mandriva. PCLinuxOS may also contain patches from Ubuntu, Debian, PLD and Charka. The PCLinuxOS team would like to thank these distributions who may have indirectly contributed to the PCLinuxOS distribution.

BTW - I'm working up a 2.6.33.1 kernel with the updated BFS patches and should know how well it plays with my fglrx drivers shorty.

Tex

Comment

Michael please start putting what kernel packages are used in your reviews (not just the version number). This is especially needed to see because many distro's offer various kernel configs and which is being used on some is being determined by their installers and may have a bug in which kernel config it chooses. openSUSE for example on some development builds would select the PAE enabled default kernel for systems with less then 2 gigs of ram which is obviously not needed on a system such as the one you used in the test and PAE carries a performance hit.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              It's funny how you always jump in to trash the work of someone who improved Linux for a lot of users. As if you outright hate the work or something.
              I didn't deny this. From the different point of view, you jump in to trash when comes to some devs work like CFS, GCC or ati drivers. Till there's something to do to make them better it's alright, but why do you want to shut some people mouth when comes to BFS? It's nor stable, nor perfect right now. The newest version addressed problem which I had with games and Amarok and guess what? if people wouldn't complain it probably wouldn't happen.

It's also funny how you call names when you run out of arguments in a discussion where there were no flames to begin with. Says a lot about your personality.
              You didn't post a single argument, but I did. Also, flames came with you here. I explained later why it sucks for me. I don't consider PCLinuxOS won graphic tests thanks to BFS and that's why I replied.

Comment

@kraftman: my solution you your problem was to add certain trolls to the "ignore" list in my forum settings. Life is too short

Comment

Now,come on,...kraftman you really don't like to BFS take any credit in this.I understand how you must feel about it.I was frustrated when something like BFS came out that supposed to fix all the issues I had with responsiveness but then introduced new ones and back again with CFS witch is a king of freaking issues for desktop users(i mean regressions),and still even now is not much different story.

Texstar,...hurry up with the testing,I just putted PCLinuxOS on sisters PC but with NVidia graphic card and it works freaking great.Tell me if you have some sorts of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                    @kraftman: my solution you your problem was to add certain trolls to the "ignore" list in my forum settings. Life is too short
                    Yes, useful option. However, if I would dig a little I would probably realize I was also trolling many times I consider it just happens from time to time, but there are maybe two or three real trolls who were doing this intentionally and they're not in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by frej View Post
                      Would be nice if phoronix actually did a comparison between KMS/UMS, or just did a simple check if mandriva/pclinux has disabled KMS....).
                      Disappointing that phoronix fails to give any clarification about this, and update the article accordingly. Now some people might attribute the OpenGL performance gains to BFS or to some sort of 'magical' Mandriva patches.

Comment

Working...
                      X