Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-ati X.Org Driver 6.13 RC2

Phoronix: xf86-video-ati X.Org Driver 6.13 RC2

Alex Deucher this morning put out the xf86-video-ati 6.12.6 point release, which isn't too interesting, but of greater interest he did put out a second release candidate for the forthcoming KMS-capable xf86-video-ati 6.13 DDX driver. There's already a lot to be found with this long-overdue and major xf86-video-ati 6.13 X.Org driver update, but added to this second release candidate (that's officially v6.12.192) is an ATI R600/700 GPU fix that should significantly improve the performance of EXA DFS acceleration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Overdue ? The 6.13 release was scheduled to coincide with KMS moving out of kernel staging AFAIK, and that only happened in 2.6.33.
    Test signature

Comment

Exactly in which areas does the EXA DFS/GetImage performance matter? Just curious...

Comment

One example mentioned on IRC was running a composited desktop over XRender rather than OpenGL.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          One example mentioned on IRC was running a composited desktop over XRender rather than OpenGL.
          great !

so if the opengl performance isn't strong enough yet, there's still the fallback of XRender for kde4

I'm anxiously awaiting support for Evergreen series: Juniper, Cypress, etc.

thanks !

Comment

Sorry for being *buntu-centric, but anyone knows if the GPU fix for R600/700 will be backported for Ubuntu lucid? Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              Sorry for being *buntu-centric, but anyone knows if the GPU fix for R600/700 will be backported for Ubuntu lucid? Many thanks!
              Lucid will probably follow the 6.13 series until the final release.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Lucid will probably follow the 6.13 series until the final release.
                Ah, I assume by "following" you mean really "back-porting". Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  Ah, I assume by "following" you mean really "back-porting". Thanks!
                  No need to backport. Lucid isn't released yet, they will just adopt the 6.13rc2 release that includes the change within the next days or so.

Comment

i'm not sure, but flash videos seems to be no more laggy in firefox with the dfs patch.

(i'm using a rv620 chipset)

someone can confirm ?

Comment

Working...
                    X