No announcement yet.

edit timeout is waaaaaaaaaay too short.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edit timeout is waaaaaaaaaay too short.

This one minute edit limit is bullshit. By the time I've read my posts and decided that there is something I wanted to edit (there should be their) it is already too damn late. One minute is waaaaaaaay too short.

It's only temporary, it's to ward off spam bots that have been editing posts to bypass some filters and working on a plug-in to fix this while allowing normal users to edit their posts longer.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      It's only temporary, it's to ward off spam bots that have been editing posts to bypass some filters and working on a plug-in to fix this while allowing normal users to edit their posts longer.
      OK, thanks for informing me. I didnt realize it was due to spam bots. I'll try to be more patient.

Comment

Now 1 month has passed on which point is the solution of this problem?

Comment

In the mean time, please increase the timeout to ~3m?
          Given the time it takes to post the message and re-read, once has zero chance to catch (and fix) mistakes.

Sure, "the preview button is your friend", but friends don't let friends make horrible spelling (or grammar) mistakes

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

This is so unprofessional. I get 1min to edit and usually after I have spent the time editing and then discover I'm out during the edit process.

1. When someone edits, it should accept the edit when they start, not timed on when they save.

2. Why even have a short edit time. What's so important with one's message then it needs to stay concrete? This is a community of chats, Not banking/legal statements. The edit time limit should be at least in the hours.

3. Many forum sites I use allow longer editing time, and there is no loss of pleasure because a quoted string may different to the original being edited. People pass on as the conversation moves. Especially if someone is pulled up for a typo or wrong statement. Better to correct the original then create a whole new post.

4. If edit times aren't changed I will probably not want to comment as I not want to experience any botched post that I can't edit.

Comment

Shivers I can't even edit the last. This site's setting SUCK...

Here's the post again...

This is so unprofessional. I get 1min to edit and usually after I have spent the time editing and then discover I'm out during the edit process.

1. When someone edits, it should accept the edit when they start, not timed on when they save.

2. Why even have a short edit time. What's so important with one's message that it needs to stay concrete? This is a community of chats, Not banking/legal statements. The edit time limit should be at least in the hours.

3. Many forum sites I use allow longer editing time, and there is no loss of pleasure because a quoted string may different to the original being edited. People pass on as the conversation moves. Especially if someone is pulled you up for a typo or wrong statement. Better to correct the original then create a whole new post.

4. If edit times aren't changed I will probably not want to comment here as I wont want to experience any botched post that I can't edit.

Comment

arr ok. Can't you modify the registration to cull new bots and then delete any existing bot accounts? ... Or are they injecting directly to your post script some way.

Comment

Originally posted by 0e8h View Post
                  arr ok. Can't you modify the registration to cull new bots and then delete any existing bot accounts? ... Or are they injecting directly to your post script some way.
                  All bots as they are found are banned. I don't know precisely how the software works, but there's such around the Internet for making it easy for spammers to almost automate the process of registering vBulletin accounts on forums and then trying to post lots of spam. By setting this one minute time limit it has cut down the number of spam that has reached the public forums by at least 80%. I just need to make it so that it will just be this limit for the first five posts or so for new users...
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Have you considered using the Bitmap phrase? (Read: Type that letters that appear in the bitmap to post a message / edit a message)?

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X