No announcement yet.

why does fglrx suck so hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI fglrx drivers aren't a priority in Linux, probably. ATI's video drivers in Windows is a priority.

I read of recent posts of Fedora 12 users not being able to use HD Radeon 5xxx cards. The reason or excuse is that Fedora isn't a 'supported distro.' I don't know what that means. Fedora isn't a Linux distro?!? I am mostly using Debian and Ubuntu but I have a Fedora partition. However, I have a Nvidia card so no problems so far.

It's really a shame because I would probably prefer ATI hardware currently.

I still figure it's a manpower or resources problem. It's probably safe to assume that ATI would like to have better Linux support. Support sounds like it eventually arrives but late and seems like the 'two driver project' takes up a lot of resources.

Comment

Having shipped some stuff running on Linux ... It's very hard to make something run on every possible Linux system. Generally, you pick a handful of targets and only support those. I'd guess that the Fedora 12 environment is newer than the other supported environments, and broke backwards compatibility with something. It'll likely get fixed in time.

Comment

Unsupported in this case means it won't run unless you try some horrible method of downgrading XOrg to the version from Fedora 11, as the fglrx driver *still* doesn't support version 7.5 which came out in October and Fedora 12 shipped (also now the default version on Arch and Debian Squeeze/Sid).

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        ATI fglrx drivers aren't a priority in Linux, probably. ATI's video drivers in Windows is a priority.

I read of recent posts of Fedora 12 users not being able to use HD Radeon 5xxx cards. The reason or excuse is that Fedora isn't a 'supported distro.' I don't know what that means. Fedora isn't a Linux distro?!? I am mostly using Debian and Ubuntu but I have a Fedora partition. However, I have a Nvidia card so no problems so far.

It's really a shame because I would probably prefer ATI hardware currently.

I still figure it's a manpower or resources problem. It's probably safe to assume that ATI would like to have better Linux support. Support sounds like it eventually arrives but late and seems like the 'two driver project' takes up a lot of resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Exopaladin View Post
          Unsupported in this case means it won't run unless you try some horrible method of downgrading XOrg to the version from Fedora 11, as the fglrx driver *still* doesn't support version 7.5 which came out in October and Fedora 12 shipped (also now the default version on Arch and Debian Squeeze/Sid).
          I thought even Karmic users say some version of fglrx doesn't work quite right. Not sure if it's ver. 10 or what but the point is even the 'supported' distros don't seem to have a 'fully working solution.'

Comment

10.2 has problems with composition with some people. Other than that, fglrx works rather well on Ubuntu. Used the driver on OpenSuse as well and no major problems there either.

Comment

The distinction between "supported" and "unsupported" is that (a) we focus our testing and bug fixing effort on the supported distros, and (b) new features, including support for new Xorg / kernel versions, are scheduled against the requirements of the supported distros.

"Supported" does not mean "zero bugs". I think that is a safe statement for all drivers, not just ours. It would normally mean fewer bugs, however.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                10.2 has problems with composition with some people. Other than that, fglrx works rather well on Ubuntu. Used the driver on OpenSuse as well and no major problems there either.
                Any video tearing on either distro? I assume you refer to Karmic 9.10 and OpenSUSE 11.2, respectively?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                  Any video tearing on either distro? I assume you refer to Karmic 9.10 and OpenSUSE 11.2, respectively?

With OpenGL and vsync., no. Tearing with Xv is a common "feature" under all distros .

Comment

I would call frequent hangs hard enough that you need to hit the reset button a bit off from "works rather well". Admittedly, it could in theory be a WINE bug, but that the same program under the same version of WINE runs fine with the current nVidia driver makes me think it's not.

Comment

With OpenGL and vsync., no. Tearing with Xv is a common "feature" under all distros .
                      In other words, the current stable fglrx driver doesn't work right? Afterall, xv is a common and desired video output, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X