Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does fglrx suck so hard?

Hi,

I just installed fglrx again because I was bored and wanted to have some 3D. Then I tried to enable compositing in KDE4 and what happens? Right, it crashes.

Why does fglrx suck so hard? WHY?

Well professional users do not need KDE 4 effects, therefore you will be a 2nd class customer as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
      Hi,

I just installed fglrx again because I was bored and wanted to have some 3D. Then I tried to enable compositing in KDE4 and what happens? Right, it crashes.

Working just fine here, fglrx 10.2, openSUSE 11.2 64bit, KDE 4.3.5

Added a line in xorg.conf, see http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=63
      (It is actually taken from a sticky thread on the Compiz forums regarding fglrx, I simply gave it a shot )
      Without that line, X hangs when trying to turn compositing on.

Comment

I also use KDE 4.3.5 and fglrsux 10.2, added that line, restarted X, but it still crashes. :/

Comment

Working fine here with KDE4.4.1. Did have to revert to fglrx 10.1 though, since the latest is not letting me use composition (it's fixed in 10.3 as fas as I can tell, so don't worry).

Comment

Hi,

fglrx's development focus is too narrow, imho. Their quality standard for non workstation related functionality is considerably sub par to nvidia's.

Comment

I also use KDE 4.3.5 and fglrsux 10.2, added that line, restarted X, but it still crashes. :/
              Did you tell aticonfig to use your hand-edited xorg.conf?

Comment

Do you talk to aticonfig now? Must be a monolog

Comment

Well, I also tried "aticonfig --disable-suckhard-mode", but this is all I get:

aticonfig: unrecognized option '--disable-suckhard-mode'
                  aticonfig: parsing the command-line failed.

Comment

Heh.

I dunno, I have to say, I'm not a big fan of either ATI's or nVidia's drivers. Right now, I can't get either of them to work as well as I'd like, but I found a set of video options that let things work with the nVidia card, while I've found nothing that keeps the ATI card from locking up hard enough that I need to hit the reset button.

Comment

Working...
                    X