Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I expect from my G41 Express Chipset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I expect from my G41 Express Chipset?

Hi all. I recently got a desktop with a G41 chipset. According to cpubenchmark.com, its supposed to be as good as or better than my Geforce 9200M GS on my old laptop. However my computer can't run Nexuiz without major graphical problems, and certainly not at the settings that my laptop used. I am wondering if:

1) this is to be expected than that the G41 actually has much lower specs than I thought. In this case I would buy a decent card later.

2) if the Intel Linux driver for it is incomplete. In this case I can either try out the bleeding edge drivers (?) or simply wait,

3) maybe its just because I only have 1GB RAM on my desktop. If this is the case then I can just buy more RAM but I don't want to if I don't need to.

I am currently running Ubuntu 9.10. I'd be grateful to anybody who could enlighten me so that I can take the necessary measures.

If you don't play hd content that could be accellerated with vdpau all should be fine. For webbrowsing (and compiz) the chip is good enough, but do not think it will be enough for hardcore gamers.

Comment

I wouldn't have any high hopes for performance in Nexuiz, but I don't think there should be any major graphical problems.

Trying more recent drivers than Mesa 7.6 from karmic would probably be a good idea.

Comment

Thanks everybody for replying. It turns out that whizse was right and upgrading to mesa 7.6.1 was the magical cure to my graphical problems in all the 3D games. Something to do with the shaders I guess.

Comment

Great!

There should be even more shader improvements in 7.7 and the upcoming 7.8 release.

Comment

Working...
          X