Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proof Of Concept: Open-Source Multi-GPU Rendering!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see how it is wrong... 'has' is a auxiliary verb that modifies/helps other verbs. For example 'has been pushed upstream' would also be correct. I don't know about anyone else but my english high school curriculum definitely covered helping verbs in this sort of use case. See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_verb. In this particular cause 'has' is used for emphasis that is has in fact went upstream.

Or am I completly missing some missuse there?

Comment

Complete description of the present perfect verb tense with present perfect exercises and examples.

Comment

I don't think "has went" is correct grammar, but it is a very common editing mistake when working on documents after a long day. Typically you start with "went" which is OK, decide to change it to "has gone" which sounds a bit better, and get interrupted mid-way through the change.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
          I don't see how it is wrong... 'has' is a auxiliary verb that modifies/helps other verbs. For example 'has been pushed upstream' would also be correct. I don't know about anyone else but my english high school curriculum definitely covered helping verbs in this sort of use case. See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxiliary_verb. In this particular cause 'has' is used for emphasis that is has in fact went upstream.

Im surprised this "has went" thing even got discussed. It's like the first thing you learn when you start studying english(non native speakers). It's a plain present perfect, you just dont combine to have with a simple past.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

The issue isn't the auxiliary verb, but the past participle.

You say 'he went' but 'he has gone'. 'he has went' is incorrect.

Comment

How about we get linux to support rendering with multiple GPU's across multiple monitors and not just a single monitor? The multiple monitor state of linux is junk. It's been broken with Ubuntu since hardy and the only way to get it to render multiple monitors with composite across multiple video cards is to use a hack for Xserver-XGL which has been retired a long time ago as well..

What ever happend to XrandR 1.3+ supporting this? :S

Sigh...

Unless something ha changed in the latest distributions, but as of Ubuntu Karmic - this is all still broken and not working.. Something that only takes a minute to configure on windows after you download the latest drivers..

- D2G

Comment

Am I the only one who feels some kind of "Deja Vu"?

From what I could actually make out of the news entry, as worded by our good friend Michael, what Arlie is doing (which is fantastic, by the way) has much resemblance to what back in their day 3Dfx did with the original Voodoo Graphics 3D processors... If you recall, they had a 3D engine that required an already present 2D card. What my understanding was at the time they used the framebuffer from the 2D-only card to attach the 3D rendering of their Voodoo graphics. What this new technique does and how it was described, lauched me 14 years in to the past of consumer 3D graphics rendering.

I find it kind of ironic that we are coming basically to the same point as it all started back when 3Dfx originally introduced their Voodoo graphics 3D processors!

I'd love to see these hybrid modes supported right from the underlying infrastructure of Linux, X and the others.

Comment

Well, with the early 3dfx cards you had to daisy-chain the vga cable from the 2d card, to one accelerator, to (optionally) a second accelerator, and the accelerators would switch from pass-through to their output based on the timing of the signal.. This, by the sounds of it, is using the new standard memory management interface to ship data between chipsets internally.

Not *too* different a concept, but a but more flexible, perhaps..

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                    I find it kind of ironic that we are coming basically to the same point as it all started back when 3Dfx originally introduced their Voodoo graphics 3D processors!
                    well in my opinion, 3dfx was ahead of their time. they pioneered some great technologies and were the fastest cards of their day.

Comment

Originally posted by DuSTman View Post
                      Well, with the early 3dfx cards you had to daisy-chain the vga cable from the 2d card, to one accelerator, to (optionally) a second accelerator, and the accelerators would switch from pass-through to their output based on the timing of the signal.. This, by the sounds of it, is using the new standard memory management interface to ship data between chipsets internally.

Not *too* different a concept, but a but more flexible, perhaps..
                      This is more like the Matrox M3D, I think.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X