Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D's LLVMpipe Software Rasterizer Is Kicking

Phoronix: Gallium3D's LLVMpipe Software Rasterizer Is Kicking

While we are still waiting for the hardware drivers to mature for Gallium3D (particularly the Nouveau stack for all NVIDIA GPUs, the Intel 965 driver, the ATI R300g driver to mature, and then the R600g driver to come about), VMware has been working on their a software rasterizer as well through a Gallium3D state tracker. This new software rasterizer looks like it's finally coming about and is already delivering great performance compared to Mesa's existing software rasterizer that is rather crippled...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am very impressed with Nouveau, so much so that earlier today I recorded a screencast showing how well it holds up to the Nouveau Evaluation for LTS using the xorg-edgers PPA to get 3d support, it runs compiz very neatly and accelerated on this ION powered dual core ATOM machine. Very stable.

Comment

I think llvmpipe is very exciting especially for platforms like the PS3

Does anyone know what gallivm is? Is it just a nickname or something new entirely?

Comment

25fps is still nothing. I can run UT2K4 in software (read: completely emulated DirectX 9.x graphics card in software!) at 60fps (it is not optimised for multi-core) on my AMD Phenom 9950 and 8GB RAM both at stock speed.

Get back to work!

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          25fps is still nothing. I can run UT2K4 in software (read: completely emulated DirectX 9.x graphics card in software!) at 60fps (it is not optimised for multi-core) on my AMD Phenom 9950 and 8GB RAM both at stock speed.
          You're comparing different hardware and different software to the article, so that's pretty pointless. The point is that Gallium3D software rasterizing is pwning mesa's soft rast.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            You're comparing different hardware and different software to the article, so that's pretty pointless. The point is that Gallium3D software rasterizing is pwning mesa's soft rast.
            Your point is also rather pointless. I said: OK cool, but still..

Ofcourse I understand that it's faster than mesa... But then again if that was the sole intention of that article than the article itself would be totally pointless as softpipe mesa is more for reference and testing and not intended for realtime software rendering anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              I can run UT2K4 in software (read: completely emulated DirectX 9.x graphics card in software!) at 60fps (it is not optimised for multi-core)
              How?

(stupid character limit)
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                How?

(stupid character limit)
                Ehm... Launch UT2K4 and in the options menu switch it to software rendering?

UT2K4 uses the Pixomatic 3 lib. The creater is now hired by Intel to work on software graphics. From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael...ame_programmer

Comment

PS: Wikipedia sais that Pixomatic does DirectX 7, but that's the first version of Pixomatic. Pixomatic 3 does DirectX 9 and is currently (or so I belive) in UT2K4...

Comment

Wow! I haven't even thought that software rasterizer can get more than 10 FPS in ioquake3 engine on any currently available CPU on x86 arch.
                    And, as FireBurn said, with this code PS3 could get decent software GL without getting into GPU acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                    X