Valve Is Not Commenting On Steam, Source Engine For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
    It's actually sad that people don't realize that Steam is actually going to kill LAN party's and all that's going to left is casual games and pricks with pimples and growing pubic hairs on xbox and play station.That's why people still respect more Wii than the rest of the consoles and like more old-school games.
    Long live openpandora :P
    You might want to take a look at this random awesomeness that Bytemark pulled off at LRL in 2008. (Valve did later recognise this, sending some freebies, although a little late, as they noted in the third post. I think they also said at some point that they were given a 'special' Steam account for a time in order for this to work.)

We sponsor various projects and events to support the free software ecosystem and charitable causes. Take a look at what we're currently sponsoring.

We sponsor various projects and events to support the free software ecosystem and charitable causes. Take a look at what we're currently sponsoring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      Please explain how STEAM will kill LAN parties?
      Rather simple. You are not allowed to play without an internet connection. Hence if you want to play in a LAN you would have to attach all to the internet. And then there is the problem with "private servers" since Steam forces games to use the public server list. The main idea of a LAN party is "hey folks who has UT? Let's play some Face-Earth!" and there you go. With Steam all have to first do a hail-to-valve dance to satisfy the gods and if they are lucky they are allowed to play together after messing with their steam clients for ages :P

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        Rather simple. You are not allowed to play without an internet connection.
        Yup it will kill all the LAN parties being held in earthquake devastated Chili and Haiti with no net access.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          Rather simple. You are not allowed to play without an internet connection. Hence if you want to play in a LAN you would have to attach all to the internet. And then there is the problem with "private servers" since Steam forces games to use the public server list. The main idea of a LAN party is "hey folks who has UT? Let's play some Face-Earth!" and there you go. With Steam all have to first do a hail-to-valve dance to satisfy the gods and if they are lucky they are allowed to play together after messing with their steam clients for ages :P
          Fair enough. I thought that was where things were going on that remark- but I wanted clarification.

Comment

• No steam

I have a sad steam history too.
            Last week i was traveling with my notebook without my 3g modem and i couldn't play hl2, IT DOESN'T RUN ON LINUX.
            Sorry i am a troll, but i wont claim if Source come to linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Yup it will kill all the LAN parties being held in earthquake devastated Chili and Haiti with no net access.
              Even in Germany there are many rural areas without broadband internet connections...
              You seem to find a lot of people not worth playing PC games.

Comment

• I got no problems with Steam on LAN-Parties without Internet-connections. All runs without problems. We have a dedicated server for the games and no problem to connect to it and it doesn't need to connect to the masterservers or any other servers. RTFM

Comment

• Originally posted by dopehouse View Post
                  I got no problems with Steam on LAN-Parties without Internet-connections. All runs without problems. We have a dedicated server for the games and no problem to connect to it and it doesn't need to connect to the masterservers or any other servers. RTFM
                  I guess this all depends on the exact game you are talking about.

Comment

• Dopehouse what games where you playing.I know what I'm saying when I sad no more LAN party's.My friend and me tried playing with steam.One day in our dorm room we had no access to internet and guess what we couldn't play any of our games in LAN although we where just 2 feet apart from each other.FREAKING EPIC FAIL.And now there is a talk that all save-games go to one server,steam's server(maybe there already is I don't know).Windows live games and that crap already does that but it gives you option to save it on your PC,but it's just a time until they change their mind's in Mic...

Comment

• I was talking about SourceEngine games like HL?, CS:S, TF2...

And anything thats not based on these Engine is not related to Valve.

Comment

Working...
                      X