Valve Is Not Commenting On Steam, Source Engine For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    Actually all Valve games can be played in offline mode. You can even play the multiplayer games like Counter-Strike offline and just use bots.
    On paper, yes... in reality, no. Offline play does not work. Never has for me and never will. One reason I hate steam. If I'm on my laptop in a train and I want to play... no chance because "you don't have the internetz!".

Comment

I dislike DRMs as much as the next guy, but Steam has been pretty much ok when I've used it in Windows. I don't think they're perfect but IMO Valve has a lot more respect for their customers than many other game distributors, so I wouldn't mind using Steam for some Linux games too. At least it doesn't feel like Valve is actively trying to screw you all the time, like dealing with EA does.

If Steam+Source comes to Linux I'd definitely buy L4D4 and Portal 2. Well otherwise, I don't want to support Windows more than necessary and I could live without those games too.

BTW. Offline play has worked fine for me.. I installed all the old Half-Life + mods and HL2 + expansions on my laptop, set it to offline mode and I didn't have any problems playing without internet access.

Comment

Did somebody read the EPIC Games press release? They support the Steamworks SDK now and we can expect that many games will use features like a thing called Steam Cloud that realises online save games. So, forget about playing offline...

Steamworks is a set of tools and services that help game developers and publishers build their games and get the most out of distributing on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          On paper, yes... in reality, no. Offline play does not work. Never has for me and never will. One reason I hate steam. If I'm on my laptop in a train and I want to play... no chance because "you don't have the internetz!".
          I tried it a few months ago and I couldn't play offline either. I tried it about 2 weeks ago and it was working. I tried it last night and It's not working again. It appears that steam tries to update without checking for a connection first and without having a timeout on the connection request.

Yet another freaking Valve bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Only the ones that have the Steam DRM implemented... Several indies I work with or working at working with use Steam as one of their download venues for their titles on the Windows side of things- and they don't do DRM and they definitely don't use Steam's.

Now, having said this, that aspect of Steam, along with the other aspects of your rant...I'd have to agree with you on that score.
            Caster is on Steam, isnt it? They recently had an update thru steam. Does Caster use the Steam DRM?

Comment

Woow,...it's really interesting to see how this Steam(smell) talk turning around from: a)please everyone sign the petition so that steam comes here

to,now that we know that it's really vaporware for
              linux,

b)"FCK" steam we don't need DRM protected games!!!!

Although everyone here knows that Apple was always business oriented and don't really cares about games and it's doing just fine the way it was and the way it's going to be .I miss the days when I could bring my old PC to LAN party and comy everyones music from theit PC's including games and just start playing,...nowdays it's seems what only cracks for games deserve to have slogan "just works,it's easy"!

Comment

Don't worry, this will change again. What it takes is Indies showing that DRM-less games give more sales than DRM-ladden ones... as well as showing why Linux is the superior gaming platform... both for playing and developing :P

Comment

It's actually sad that people don't realize that Steam is actually going to kill LAN party's and all that's going to left is casual games and pricks with pimples and growing pubic hairs on xbox and play station.That's why people still respect more Wii than the rest of the consoles and like more old-school games.
                  Long live openpandora :P

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    Caster is on Steam, isnt it? They recently had an update thru steam. Does Caster use the Steam DRM?
                    NO, it doesn't.

Steam's got several parts to it. One's the delivery/social network system. Another's the DRM. You don't have to use the DRM to use the other parts. If there was a version of the first, we'd probably be using that as it'd be easier for Mike to provide the binaries to the Linux crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
                      It's actually sad that people don't realize that Steam is actually going to kill LAN party's and all that's going to left is casual games and pricks with pimples and growing pubic hairs on xbox and play station.
                      Please explain how STEAM will kill LAN parties?

Comment

Working...
                      X