Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    You think???

What I said was DRM restricts you from even having disc-copying software installed.
    That's completely different from a copy-protected disc.
    Blocking use of items such as virtual drives is a form of copy protection. DRM uses "authorization" from a party outside of your system to allow the program to function. It must "bless" your install.

Comment

So, when did Securom turn from copy protection to DRM? Is there a clear line to be drawn? I think it's just a continuation. Old school copy protection is a subset of the concept of DRM. And, as I said: we're well into ant violation territory.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Blocking use of items such as virtual drives is a form of copy protection. DRM uses "authorization" from a party outside of your system to allow the program to function. It must "bless" your install.
        DRM is a generic term - it isn't nearly as specific as you are trying to define it. It's implemented in different ways because of different types of media (movies, music, and games). Explain to me how copy protection isn't a form of "Digital Rights Management".

@Remco

SecuROM is the poster child for DRM - copy protection is the least of your problems. It didn't come with an uninstaller originally, it required you to activate your game online and limited your activations to one machine (BioShock), and it can require you to activate your game every 10 days (Mass Effect). I agree though, it's all just a continuation and the only difference is perception.

(For the record I own both games.)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
          DRM is a generic term - it isn't nearly as specific as you are trying to define it. It's implemented in different ways because of different types of media (movies, music, and games). Explain to me how copy protection isn't a form of "Digital Rights Management".
          DRM on movies music and games use the same idea. They "phone home" outside of your local system to get authorized for playback or execution on said device. A DRM'd piece media cannot self authorize itself for use on that device. Copy protection prohibits duplication of the media. DRM does not do that. A DRM'd piece of media can be freely duplicated but until the device is authorized for use with said media. There are many cases, especially in software, where both are in use.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            I do like having pretty box sets (whether it's games, books, DVDs or blurays) but for ease of use having a file on your PC is often easier

My legal British copy of the Final Destination in 3D won't work on my American PS3. There's no bluray player for linux so I booted into Windows on a separate drive to watch it. Unfortunately it won't play because of a problem with HDCP - it asks me to connect up via VGA rather than HDMI because of it. I very nearly downloaded it from Pirate Bay.

I don't think the dodgy downloads have subtitles for the hard of hearing though, which was a must as one of my friends is deaf. We ended up watching Total Recall instead.

I think I've just gone off topic
            This kind of issue has made it easier to be a pirate than to be a good customer.

And I don't want to have the same kind of problem with steam. Esp if they just randomly remove things like people are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
              And I don't want to have the same kind of problem with steam. Esp if they just randomly remove things like people are saying.
              Just to clear up - steam doesn't randomly remove things, but it has the ability to remove things, lock accounts (preventing access to all games), that sort of thing, if valve deem your actions illegal or causing a nuisance to others.
              I think that's a little too much power for valve; they may dress it up nicely, but they have more control over your content than most other DRM schemes.

Comment

If Steam comes to Linux ...

I'll be the happiest Linux user. As of recently my PC buying habits have consisted of seeing a game on Steam for a GREAT price and then checking to see if it will run in wine and then buying it if so.

Personally, I think Steam for Linux would be the best thing since sliced bread. I vote with my wallet and I'm ready for some Voting.

Comment

Not really. Linux is so far a rather DRM free zone. If Steam would come to Linux this would change in a matter of moments. Do you really want SecuRom type stuff to show up on Linux? Root-Kits trying to take the freedom away which Linux gave you back? No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    Root-Kits trying to take the freedom away which Linux gave you back? No thanks.
                    trying to maintain a linux-root-kit that's working across multiple distributions and the ever-changing kernel versions isn't feasible. Look at the trouble users have with getting nvidia or fglrx working, then imagine how painful it'll be to get a linux user to manually install a binary DRM kernel module.

Whatever they do, it'll be restricted to user-space. Worst case would probably be an online-check every time you run the game.

Comment

Sigh, I can see it coming.. "We see you're running SELinux, PAX or GrSecurity. Please disable this, it's interfering with your ability to play the game."

Comment

Working...
                      X