Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
    I have a sad steam history too.
    Last week i was traveling with my notebook without my 3g modem and i couldn't play hl2, IT DOESN'T RUN ON LINUX.
    Sorry i am a troll, but i wont claim if Source come to linux.
    HL2 runs on Wine. Perfectly, I might add. I don't even have Windows, and I played the entire orange box without problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by mibo View Post
      Even in Germany there are many rural areas without broadband internet connections...
      You seem to find a lot of people not worth playing PC games.
      And there are a lot of Lan parties held in rural areas now isn't there?

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        And there are a lot of Lan parties held in rural areas now isn't there?
        Are you trying to be funny? Sorry, if I do not understand what you are trying to say.

I don't know how many Lan parties have no internet access.
        When I play with friends we use Lan for playing because playing on an internet server often makes problems - for example timeouts/sync errors (command&conquer).

Many of the new released games force you to play on an internet server, put your savegame to their server or even have an internet connection all of the time. I will not buy these games anymore.
        And because Steam promotes these techniques - I don't support it ...to be on topic :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by mibo View Post
          Are you trying to be funny? Sorry, if I do not understand what you are trying to say.

I don't know how many Lan parties have no internet access.
          When I play with friends we use Lan for playing because playing on an internet server often makes problems - for example timeouts/sync errors (command&conquer).

Many of the new released games force you to play on an internet server, put your savegame to their server or even have an internet connection all of the time. I will not buy these games anymore.
          And because Steam promotes these techniques - I don't support it ...to be on topic :-)
          We were referring to the "steam kills lan party" bs. You brought up "rural" users and I'm asking you how many LAN parties are held in rural areas.

Comment

• Don't forget mibo it's not just the issues with intarnetz but all the fun with your 10 best friends playing those games."Balls in your face" is so much more fun when you are doing it in person !!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by dopehouse View Post
              I was talking about SourceEngine games like HL?, CS:S, TF2...

And anything thats not based on these Engine is not related to Valve.
              These problems mentioned are related to these games. There exists sort of hacks to get around this but that's exactly the point: you have to "hack" the game to get it working. That's not LAN play that's LAN raping... players...

Comment

• @deanjo:
                Please stop being a dick here and trying to save your arguments with off-topic stuff. It doesn't matter if LAN parties have potential access to the internet. If you have to play "over the internet" then this is not a LAN party. People play over LAN because it is faster, safer and easier. If you have to go over the (slow) internet then you could just stay at home and play from there. The results are as bad especially with the totally lousy network code of the source engine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  Rather simple. You are not allowed to play without an internet connection. Hence if you want to play in a LAN you would have to attach all to the internet. And then there is the problem with "private servers" since Steam forces games to use the public server list. The main idea of a LAN party is "hey folks who has UT? Let's play some Face-Earth!" and there you go. With Steam all have to first do a hail-to-valve dance to satisfy the gods and if they are lucky they are allowed to play together after messing with their steam clients for ages :P
                  Last time it was enough to log on to steam -- you don't need an internet connection after that.
                  Steam forces games to use the public server list? What does that mean? You can choose "Internet", "Lan" or you could join a game by ip.. If you choose a lan game, you don't need internet...

Comment

• Arg rural area = fail

Are you living in an area where in case of bad weather your power and phone are down?

PS: move to a city! =D

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      Arg rural area = fail

Are you living in an area where in case of bad weather your power and phone are down?

PS: move to a city! =D
                      arrogant - is the nicest word that came to my mind.

For the game publisher. They should really sit together and think if they want to annoy PC gamers with all the restrictions any longer. For a game console I can buy a game and just play it - without internet connection, not to care if the official master server is still online - it just works.

I hope many gamers stop paying money for this DRM crap. Otherwise the publishers seem not to care about "fair use".

Comment

Working...
                      X