Valve Is Not Commenting On Steam, Source Engine For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    DRM on movies music and games use the same idea. They "phone home" outside of your local system to get authorized for playback or execution on said device. A DRM'd piece media cannot self authorize itself for use on that device. Copy protection prohibits duplication of the media. DRM does not do that. A DRM'd piece of media can be freely duplicated but until the device is authorized for use with said media. There are many cases, especially in software, where both are in use.
    Wow you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about do you? You keep trying to split hairs to sound like an expert on the matter, but you can't split hairs on a bald head.

Comment

I'm also wondering why we are so worried about the difference between DRM and copy protection. The topic is Steam. They use DRM, and a part of it is prevention of unauthorized use. This is very mild stuff, and does not mess with your system. Other parts:
      • game store
      • download service
      • online services
      • anti cheat software

All this is "DRM". It enables you to install Steam on any Windows/OSX PC, log in, download all your games, and start playing.

You can always put your games in offline mode. Then they can't touch you. Online services are never in your control, so I don't see how using "DRM" makes it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
        You can always put your games in offline mode. Then they can't touch you.
        unless it's one of those games that cannot be played in offline mode for whatever reason.

Originally posted by Remco View Post
        Online services are never in your control, so I don't see how using "DRM" makes it worse.
        unless you wish to reinstall the game at a later point or try to upgrade your system. Then you'll need the online service (i.e. valve's mercy) again.

The question I like to ask myself is: "will I be able to play this game in 10 years?". I still enjoy Diablo 2 (and it's mods), which is almost 10 years old.
        With steam, there's no guarantee that I'll be able to reinstall the games I payed for at a later point in time.

Steam does restriction the options, reliability and rights you have as a customer. Whether that's acceptable or not is another discussion, but claiming that you keep full control is just plain wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
          unless it's one of those games that cannot be played in offline mode for whatever reason.
          I haven't encountered any, but I only own the Orange Box.
          unless you wish to reinstall the game at a later point or try to upgrade your system. Then you'll need the online service (i.e. valve's mercy) again.
          Nope, you can backup your install. This is dead simple in Wine.
          The question I like to ask myself is: "will I be able to play this game in 10 years?". I still enjoy Diablo 2 (and it's mods), which is almost 10 years old.
          With steam, there's no guarantee that I'll be able to reinstall the games I payed for at a later point in time.
          Yes you can. You can restore the backup with all your offline-mode games.
          Steam does restriction the options, reliability and rights you have as a customer. Whether that's acceptable or not is another discussion, but claiming that you keep full control is just plain wrong.
          Nope. By default it increases risk. But you can manage that.

Comment

Till now I'm still able to install and play CounterStrike (I mean the first one with the old GoldEngine). How old is this game? 10years?!

Comment

Actually all Valve games can be played in offline mode. You can even play the multiplayer games like Counter-Strike offline and just use bots.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                Just to clear up - steam doesn't randomly remove things, but it has the ability to remove things, lock accounts (preventing access to all games), that sort of thing, if valve deem your actions illegal or causing a nuisance to others.
                I think that's a little too much power for valve; they may dress it up nicely, but they have more control over your content than most other DRM schemes.
                Actually, they would only lock your account if you are doing something illegal and they're hard evidence. Cheating, griefing, spamming and everything else isn't even monitored by Valve. They let all inappropriate actions be handled by the server mods. That's the purpose of VAC (and VAC bans).

People complaining about Valve is mostly scare tactics. Virtually everything you use claims the right to revoke your services at their discretion even if they never enforce anything. It's just to cover their asses on the backend so they don't get sued.

Comment

My kid brother's account got hacked into not long ago and now the account is locked. He's rather pissed since the $200 or so he has spend in games is basically lost. He does have some backups of his favorite games, but he can't play them due to not being able to access his account. Not like I didn't warn the kid, but what can you do. I already called the costumer service line twice and did not get anywhere. Yes, it's not a common occurrence, but shit happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                    Wow you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about do you? You keep trying to split hairs to sound like an expert on the matter, but you can't split hairs on a bald head.
                    Yeah sounds like CSI all over again:

Hi Reddit! /u/xerohourFair use claim:-this serves an educational purpose in demonstrating computer illiteracy as it pertains to American Television-the clip ...

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                      My kid brother's account got hacked into not long ago and now the account is locked. He's rather pissed since the $200 or so he has spend in games is basically lost. He does have some backups of his favorite games, but he can't play them due to not being able to access his account. Not like I didn't warn the kid, but what can you do. I already called the costumer service line twice and did not get anywhere. Yes, it's not a common occurrence, but shit happens.
                      Exactly the kind of thing I would be worried about.

Comment

Working...
                      X