Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Direction Of Intel Graphics With Fedora 13 Alpha

Phoronix: The Direction Of Intel Graphics With Fedora 13 Alpha

Fedora 13 Alpha was released yesterday with a plethora of new features and updated packages for this Red Hat Linux distribution. Aside from the features like Btrfs system rollback support and PolicyKit One support for Qt/KDE applications to excite end-users, each Fedora release always pulls in the very latest Linux graphics code. Fedora was the first distribution shipping with the Nouveau driver, then its KMS driver, and now with Fedora 13 it's the first OS deploying Nouveau's Gallium3D driver (there's benchmarks behind that link). Fedora 13 is also carrying the latest packages for the unreleased X Server 1.8, DisplayPort monitor support for more graphics cards, the latest ATI driver code from the xf86-video-ati DDX to the in-development DRM, and then there is the very latest Intel work too. To get an idea for the direction that the Intel 3D support is heading in this release, we have carried out a few quick OpenGL benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is fedora 13 eventually shipping with intel 2.11.0?

also, is it going to come with the 2.6.33 kernel, or 2.6.34?
    i tried googling around to no avail. some sites said ~.33 some said ~.34.
    distrowatch says rawhide is using ~.34, does that mean fedora 14?

anyway, nice quick and simple article michael.

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post

Fedora 13 will ship with kernel-2.6.33.

Rawhide = Fedora 14 development branch. But I do not consider Fedora 14 will ship with kernel 2.6.34. Maybe F14 ships with 2.6.35 or 2.6.36 finally.

Comment

Fedora 13 will ship with 2.6.33, but it's likely that 2.6.34 will be made available as an update some months after release, same way as F12 has just been updated to 2.6.32.

Comment

thanks for the info.

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
          Fedora 13 will ship with 2.6.33, but it's likely that 2.6.34 will be made available as an update some months after release, same way as F12 has just been updated to 2.6.32.
          that's cool. do you have to go through and reconfigure/install drivers if a distro does that?

Comment

thanks for the info.

that's cool. do you have to go through and reconfigure/install drivers if a distro does that?
            No manual configuration needed at all (unless you use some specific hand-crafted configuration instead of the default one, of course), it will just pop up as an ordinary update.

Comment

Can I somehow use the ati's latest power management code with fedora 13 or fedora rawhide?

I talk about the kms pm, which is enabled by giving the kernel option radeon.dynpm=1

Comment

"Even any debugging options in Fedora 13 Alpha would not rightly explain a 40% drop in performance over the past few months"

Lols another Larabel fucked-up article. how do you know did you

a) build a non-debug Fedora kernel (its quite simple to do this from the srpm
                b) profile where the time was going?

of course you didn't because you are an idiot.

I'd be quite happy to claim the 40% is the overhead of kernel debugging options. I've seen it much worse on -ati.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                  "Even any debugging options in Fedora 13 Alpha would not rightly explain a 40% drop in performance over the past few months"

Lols another Larabel fucked-up article. how do you know did you

a) build a non-debug Fedora kernel (its quite simple to do this from the srpm
                  b) profile where the time was going?

of course you didn't because you are an idiot.

I'd be quite happy to claim the 40% is the overhead of kernel debugging options. I've seen it much worse on -ati.

Dave.
                  now, i don't completely remember, but i'm pretty sure he (mostly) just put that in there because last time he posted a review and failed to mention one test item had debugging on, he got completely flamed by a bunch of flaming dicks.

this is the rowdiest crowd of people i've seen on any forum i've ever been registered to. constant fighting everywhere, it's ridiculous.

yes, i know other forums are much worse. but this is the worst i'm registered to.

and much worse than any other linux forum i've EVER seen.

why the hell must everyone here be so intelligent, but old at the same time? alot of you are extremely rigid and set in your ways. it's kind of saddening.

when you have a problem with something, nicely post it here. if you're angry, send him a pm or an e-mail about how to fix it so that he can provide more accurate results next time. all he's here for is to show people like me the progress of the linux ecosystem. (or have a beer and paint a picture, take a break from the computer.)

and always remember, this is a free site. and just like most other things linux, it's free and you don't have to like it.

this goes for everyone. (well, not completely. but alot of you)

Comment

now, i don't completely remember, but i'm pretty sure he (mostly) just put that in there because last time he posted a review and failed to mention one test item had debugging on, he got completely flamed by a bunch of flaming dicks.

this is the rowdiest crowd of people i've seen on any forum i've ever been registered to. constant fighting everywhere, it's ridiculous.

yes, i know other forums are much worse. but this is the worst i'm registered to.

and much worse than any other linux forum i've EVER seen.

why the hell must everyone here be so intelligent, but old at the same time? alot of you are extremely rigid and set in your ways. it's kind of saddening.

when you have a problem with something, nicely post it here. if you're angry, send him a pm or an e-mail about how to fix it so that he can provide more accurate results next time. all he's here for is to show people like me the progress of the linux ecosystem. (or have a beer and paint a picture, take a break from the computer.)

and always remember, this is a free site. and just like most other things linux, it's free and you don't have to like it.

this goes for everyone. (well, not completely. but alot of you)
                    Here's the problem, Michael makes money from this hit-driven journalism and thats probably why he always gives his uninformed opinion in his articles. It would be nice if he could do some real journalisty stuff like fact checking and marking off pieces that are opinion pieces away from pieces that are technical.

Like F13 Alpha benchmarks on Intel is a technical thing. You can
                    report its slower and that F13 enables lots of debugging options. The statement that debug options couldn't explain the slowdown is opinion since he has zero investigation its just opinion.

These articles then get reported elsewhere as fact, but people who believe Michael understands the problem space, which means developers have to spend time refuting this crap instead of making it faster.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                    X