Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 13 Alpha Released With Plenty Of Features

Phoronix: Fedora 13 Alpha Released With Plenty Of Features

Following a one week delay, the first alpha release for Fedora 13 is now available. The final release of Fedora 13 is not due out until May, but this is the only development release of Goddard before this Red Hat Linux operating system reaches its beta stage. There's tons of new work in Fedora 13 already like NFSv4 and DisplayPort support, Btrfs system rollbacks, many package updates, and Nouveau Gallium3D support. In the Fedora 13 Alpha announcement, also mentioned is better automatic printer setup with automatic driver installation, automatic installation of language packs, a redesigned user management interface, GNOME Color Management, NetworkManager enhancements, SystemTap static probes, and much more. The Fedora 13 Alpha release announcement can be read on the mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Fedora 13 Alpha Released With Plenty Of Features
    yeah, one of those features is that installer hangs indefinitely when scanning devices (i can switch to other consoles and use them, though).

just when i felt like trying it out :/

Comment

Hi

See if any of known issues documented at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F13_bugs matches the behavior you are seeing and if not file a bug report yourself.

We have nightly builds to test as well

Thanks

Comment

As usual rawhide builds don't fit on a CD (> 830M). According to this bugreport, booting the LiveCD-ISO (which uses dracut-004-5.fc13) through grub2's isoloop function should work but doesn't either: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=557426

For installation purpose boot.fedoraproject.org might work, but is there any chance to boot the Live-Image without burning a DVD?

Comment

Hi

Rawhide = Fedora 14 development branch and if you are referring to the nightly builds of Fedora desktop has moved to being around a 1 GB live image starting with this release.

Your options are

* boot.fedoraproject.org
          * boot.iso to do a network installation
          * Regular installation DVD /CD set
          * USB keys

Comment

Thank you. I was talking about the Alpha-Release of F13 and the Live-ISO is just too big for CD-R(W):
            Code:
            836M F13-Alpha-i686-Live.iso

On the other recommended options, there might be a problem with my USB-stick, which uses some fancy FAT16 partition layout. Fedoras liveusb-creator doesn't work for me and I fear that copying over an boot image with dd would't work either.

I have however manually prepared the USB-stick with grub2 and e.g. booting SystemRescueCd-x86-1.4.0.iso from it works just fine. I think it should be that easy with Fedora LiveCD-Images too, but I couldn't get 13-Alpha-i686-Live.iso to boot.

Okay, to be fair there is a bug in Grub2 (error: invalid magic number" when booting from ISO loopback) when trying to boot some iso's from USB-sticks. So let's forget about USB-sticks, but it should work with an ISO-Image on hdd right now (as Ubuntu 9.10 images do for reference).

On the other hand I've read of just extracting "vmlinuz0" and "initrd0.img" from the LiveCD to hdd which should allow booting even with grub-legacy. Well, in that case grub complains about "invalid executable format" using the "vmlinuz0" from F13-Alpha-LiveCD.

Propably I'm not the "most experienced end user (TM)" and I know this is neither a Fedora support forum nor a bug tracker. With Grub2 and isoloop in Fedora/Dracut/Grub2 beeing in an early stage it would be the best to give a minimal CD-Image from boot.fedoraproject.org a chance.

Maybe some day booting the LiveCD of Alpha releases will become idiot proof even for regular users through Grub2. Until then I have to wait for "real LiveCD-Images" that fit on a CD-R. Keep up the good work at Fedora/RedHat.

Comment

@puntarenas

Grub2 can access files from an iso, that should not be the problem. But why does that bugzilla entry mention the options for UBUNTU iso-scan/filename is only implemented in lupin-casper package which is used there together with capser for the live initrd. That has got absolutely nothing to do with Fedora! As lupin-casper is not in Debian that option does not work with live-initramfs too...

Comment

Hi

The target of the desktop (GNOME) Live image for Fedora 13 is to fit into a 1 GB USB key. The choices are

* Simply use dd on any Linux system
                * Use Fedora live usb creator on Windows or Fedora
                * Use livecd-creator from livecd-tools package

Is is all explained in more detail at

Downloading Fedora You can download Fedora from https://fedoraproject.org/. There are multiple desktops available for use with Fedora. Each has a slightly different look and feel and offers varying levels of…

If you have problems, specific bug reports would be welcome.

Comment

i figured out my issue.

i've disconnected my floppy drive a few months ago, but forgot to disable it in bios. installer kept trying to scan /dev/fd0 all the time, and kept getting errors.

still it's all for the best. i have an lvm on top of encrypted partition, and there seem to be some dangerous issues with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X