Nexuiz re-make on the 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordHavoc View Post
    I want to clarify that yes, relicensing of my engine is exactly what happened, and id Software may not promote the Quake1 engine license offer anymore but contacting their parent company Zenimax has the desired results, it is my belief that all the companies involved are happy with this deal.

The name and concept are licensed from Alientrap, not transferred.

The game was demoed at GDC on 8 Sony Playstation 3 development consoles.
    I'm not sure who you are, but what is this "my engine"?

Also, the way I understand the GPL is that I can't just take the Linux kernel, modify it a bit and then sell the binaries without giving out the source code as well. The kernel code isn't mine to relicense.

Comment

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Okay, so he wrote darkplaces. Even so, he can't relicense id's code. The whole idea behind the GPL would be useless if he could.

Comment

LordHavoc's post suggested that id themselves (strictly speaking their parent company Zenimax) re-licenced the code. The GPL terms only apply to people who obtain the code under that license - the original authors (id) can re-license any way they please without affecting the GPL-licensed copies.
          Test signature

Comment

Since the game code and content is all-new there isn't much to say about "giving back" to the developer community, IllFonic employees may have personal interest in contributing to the GPL game but that is entirely independent of the IllFonic game.

Engine development proceeds as normal and is fully public (except for the console support code and minor title-specific modifications), it is simply up to game developers to put new features to good use as usual.

The deal was not meant to "rip off" anyone, this is a cross-promotion opportunity on different platforms that builds the community for all, and as an independent contractor I was especially interested in working on a spinoff of a game that I programmed and co-designed from the beginning.

No prior announcement was possible to avoid risk for the companies involved, no malicious intent was involved, simply standard business practices.

There is not much else for me to say about this deal, except that I enjoy working with the IllFonic crew and am confident this game is going to rock.

Comment

So i guess that you add a D3D backend to the engine then?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                So i guess that you add a D3D backend to the engine then?
                That will be happening in the coming weeks, yes.

It will be a bit of a chore making both D3D9 and D3D10 renderers (D3D9 being mainly to benefit Intel onboard graphics users who have trouble with the OpenGL renderer).

Comment

Originally posted by LordHavoc View Post
                  That will be happening in the coming weeks, yes.

It will be a bit of a chore making both D3D9 and D3D10 renderers (D3D9 being mainly to benefit Intel onboard graphics users who have trouble with the OpenGL renderer).
                  Pardon, which console platform uses Intel onboard graphics?
                  Or maybe I misunderstood.

Comment

Wintendo

Comment

Exactly.

There only was talk about consoles. If the commercial Nexuiz will be on Wintendo as well, that's another reason to side with the X' group.

Comment

Working...
                      X