Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Open-Source ATI Driver Releases

Phoronix: New Open-Source ATI Driver Releases

With the Linux 2.6.33 kernel having been released last week where the ATI kernel mode-setting (KMS) DRM code left the kernel's staging area, we knew a new ATI X.Org driver release was imminent. Over the night a new stable DDX driver update has been pushed out for xf86-video-ati as well as a new pre-release for the KMS-supportive 6.13 version that also carries other changes.The xf86-video-ati 6.12.5 is the new stable update that carries bug-fixes and other work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How can i get this pre release? Wanna get rid of fglrx..

Comment

Originally posted by bolzerrr View Post
      How can i get this pre release? Wanna get rid of fglrx..
      Depends on your distro...

Comment

Am I correct when I assume that I won't get to use all these awesome new features on my openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel .31) and have to wait for 11.3?

Comment

In mid 2009 I posted here saying we would have some decent open source ati drivers with distros starting from Ubuntu 10.10 (and similars).

It seems.... things are actually going like this

Comment

Originally posted by mudig View Post
            Am I correct when I assume that I won't get to use all these awesome new features on my openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel .31) and have to wait for 11.3?
            You can always compile the respective parts (kernel, xorg-drivers, mesa,...) on your own, which I would advise you to try out on a non-production machine/installation and only if you are really curious and/or want to help the developers.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Depends on your distro...
              Ubuntu Karmic.. never tried open source drivers, do i also have to install mesa?

Comment

Absolute Garbage

This 6.12.5 release is absolute and utter garbage. It does not address many longstanding serious bugs (which are fixed in git). So what is the point of releasing a piece of nonsense like this ?

Is this yet another stalling tactic by the incompetent "developers" ?

I don't want to hear any excuses about "it's not that easy now that there are many different pieces to consider, KMS, mesa, TTM blah blah fucking blah". A year without any stable releases that have shown the slightest advance is pathetic beyond belief.

Comment

gordboy, are there specific bug fixes which you feel should be in the 6.12 update stream and not just in 6.13 ?

My understanding was that the 6.12 update stream only received the very low risk bug fixes, and that more intrusive fixes would be picked up in the 6.13 driver.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by gordboy View Post
                    This 6.12.5 release is absolute and utter garbage. It does not address many longstanding serious bugs (which are fixed in git). So what is the point of releasing a piece of nonsense like this ?

Is this yet another stalling tactic by the incompetent "developers" ?

I don't want to hear any excuses about "it's not that easy now that there are many different pieces to consider, KMS, mesa, TTM blah blah fucking blah". A year without any stable releases that have shown the slightest advance is pathetic beyond belief.
                    What specific bug are you seeing? Remember, bugs that aren't reported have less chance of being fixed. It's a stable branch so it does not get new features.

Comment

Working...
                    X