Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Linux 2.6.34 Kernel GPU DRM Updates

Phoronix: Major Linux 2.6.34 Kernel GPU DRM Updates

There's already quite a bit of code that has been merged into the Linus 2.6 Git tree for the Linux 2.6.34 kernel tree, but the first pull request for the DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) code has went in this morning. As was mentioned last week, the "vga_switcheroo" that allows for dual GPU switching / hybrid graphics support on some notebook computers is now being pushed into the mainline kernel. This support isn't as polished as what can be found on Windows Vista/7 with real-time switching, but for now on Linux the X.Org Server needs to be restarted when switching between the graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I found a really interesting thing that might relate to sandy bridge. If they got the gpu/cpu link working better in it than in the previous version. If they did and that gpu goes 1400 mhz it looks like it could hit a good 6 or 7 gTex/s which is 3d playable for most lower end games.

If they did fix it then they at least won't have laughing stock graphics on chip.

Comment

Rafał Miłecki:
      Revert "drm/radeon/kms: disable HDMI audio for now on rv710/rv730"

Is it fixed now? Should I expect this to work from now on?

Do I need some extra modules/commands to enable PM or is it used by default?

Huge thanks for the great work for everyone!

Comment

Backport for Fedora 13

I hope they backport stuff to Fedora 13 (2.6.33.x), e. g. the R800-Support!

Comment

I've seen bits and pieces here and there about switchable graphics support, but I haven't actually been able to figure out *how* you switch between integrated/discreet. Is it something that will be managed automatically?

Comment

Right now I believe the procedure for switching is "stop X, run a little switcheroo program, start X", and then only for specific hardware combinations. In general, the only reliable way to use switchable graphics on Linux today is to use BIOS options to enable one or the other graphics system. If you are buying a switchable graphics system for use with Linux, checking for the existence of a BIOS option for selecting (typically integrated OR discrete OR switchable) is a good idea.

Words can not describe my loathing of the one-minute edit rule but I am going to try anyways.
            Test signature

Comment

Working...
            X