Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Switching Goes For The Gold: Mainline Inclusion

Phoronix: GPU Switching Goes For The Gold: Mainline Inclusion

At the start of the month we talked about GPU switching coming to Linux in a crude form that allowed notebooks with dual GPUs (one being a low-power, low-performance integrated chip and the other being the more performance-oriented GPU that's power hungry) to be switched from without the need for a reboot in Linux. This initial work was just a collection of hacks by David Airlie and it required VT switching after killing the X Server, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice!

(Stupid 10 character limit + stupid 60'' limit. Bah!)

Comment

wow....

these redhat employees are f***ing crazy.
      they've all been hacking away like labrats lately.

i think redhat is up to something.....

Comment

Updated HowTo: Fedora 12 + kernel 2.6.33 + vga_switcheroo patch v13

See blog for details:

To summarise: v13 patch rocks!: Now you can switch between cards as many times as you like!

Comment

Originally posted by rmartinez View Post
          Updated HowTo: Fedora 12 + kernel 2.6.33 + vga_switcheroo patch v13

See blog for details:

To summarise: v13 patch rocks!: Now you can switch between cards as many times as you like!
          Can I use this How-to with Nvidia/Nvidia combination? Or it's only ati feature?

Comment

Can I use Switcheroo with Nvidia/Nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by kempa View Post
              Can I use Switcheroo with Nvidia/Nvidia?
              Sounds like it needs testing, at least:

Update 2: v13 is now up, it blindly implements nvidia DSM changing, but I've no idea if it works. Hopefully someone can test it and give me some feedback. Its nearly all guesswork from work mjg59 did.

Comment

I have recently made a new update of the blog I made with the HowTo compile kernel + switcheroo. I learned a lot of Shell scripting and made better scripts to switch between graphic cards as fast as a click (and a password tiping...). Well, I hope you can profit from them:

@kempa: Please, do test this patch with your configuration and post your experience. Thanks!

Comment

Hi everyone, I made a newer script with gui (gxmessage) that allows to switch between graphic cards "switch_between_cards.sh". I made it so that it works with no matter what configuration cards you have. If you have any doubts please write to me. The only thing I would like to mention is that although the vga_switcheroo v13 works in perfect functionality for my ASUS M51Ta, the only thing is that when you turn off the computer with one of the cards turned off; then, when you turn on the computer again the fan runs at full speed. So, to avoid this I also made a script "switch_before_shutdown.sh". These scripts are on my new post:

Please tell me if you find any errors!
                  Thanks,
                  rm

Comment

Working...
                  X