Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" Hits Alpha 3 State

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" Hits Alpha 3 State

For those that have been waiting to try out Ubuntu 10.04 (a.k.a. the Lucid Lynx) until it gets closer to a beta state, the third and final alpha release is now available. Ubuntu 10.04 is running with GNOME 2.30 (development packages at this time), KDE Software Compilation 4.4, X.Org 7.5, and the Linux 2.6.32 kernel at its heart...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should get FGLRX support of xorg now.

Comment

Gave the Live CD a spin earlier today. Screen went into DPMS off mode during boot and didn't wake up until the X Server started. So I guess they haven't included the 2.6.33 drm yet... But besides that and some other minor issues, I quite liked it. KMS 2D performance was certainly a lot better than Karmic + 2.6.32-radeon-testing, probably because of the X Server and/or GTK+ improvements I've been reading about here.

I think this going to be a great release.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

I think this going to be a great release.
        Thats what they said about Karmic and look how it turned out ?

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
          With the exception of the customized PulseAudio crap, it Works For Me (c). As usual, YMMV depending on your hardware and usage, etc.

Comment

The installer is broken, i can not install it onto the 2nd hd. karmic worked...

Comment

Don't know who said that about Karmic but it wasn't me . Anyway however it turns abut to be I got a positive impression from the Live CD. This is the first Ubuntu release with Out-of-the-Box 3D support and desktop effects for R600+. Now they just need to add the 2.6.33 drm + evergreen KMS bits to the kernel.

Comment

For kubuntu users karmic was one of the good releases. Lucid seems better though after a quick livecd spin of alpha3

Comment

Working...
                X