Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTS Desktop Live 2010.1 Released

Phoronix: PTS Desktop Live 2010.1 Released

After releasing Phoronix Test Suite 2.4 earlier this month and delivering the subsequent 2.4.1 update, we have now released PTS Desktop Live 2010.1 "Anzhofen" to the public. PTS Desktop Live 2010.1 makes it extremely easy to benchmark your computer on a completely standardized software stack from a Live DVD/USB environment.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is that just Ubuntu with a different colour scheme, wall paper and PTS installed?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Is that just Ubuntu with a different colour scheme, wall paper and PTS installed?
      Did you read the article? It's running a customized 2.6.33 kernel (not to mention Lucid is sticking with 2.6.32), most Ubuntu packages have been tossed out, and other changes.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Don't forget php-gtk

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Did you read the article? It's running a customized 2.6.33 kernel (not to mention Lucid is sticking with 2.6.32), most Ubuntu packages have been tossed out, and other changes.
          Is there a change log? Did you create the packages your self?

If this isn't a Ubuntu derivative I'd be interested to know more. I'd be especially interested in what compile flags you used

Out if interest have you considered using Catalyst to create a bare bones LiveCD? One that just loads X and starts PTS?

Comment

Also my kernel is 2.3MB in size with everything I need compiled in (ie no modules)

You'd find a simpler kernel one with IPv6 turned of most of the device drivers turned of, support for AHCI hard disk controllers only, building the firmware into the DRM modules (or having the modules built in) and having the network & wireless drivers compiled as modules would be suitable for most testers

Then have X start PTS directly, you'd only need evdev and synaptics input drivers and radeon, intel and nouveu video drivers for most folk too

The rest of the CD could be used for tests

With this set up you could even create weekly snapshots (possibly daily) of the kernel, xorg stack and PTS

Comment

Very cool!

Just uploaded some complete results. (Mostly complete. I did not run Warsow, Qgears because they are graphical and I don't care about Vesa video performance, and idle-power because it appeared to take too long.)

NOTES:
              AIO failed the first time for disk space reasons... not sure why it then ran on the second reboot and run.. I didn't really load anythign else into the ramdrive. Maybe I had created the sqlite db file I manually created to try to get that running and forgot to rm it when I ran the final complete set of tests. (Probably.)

SQLite seems to run and if I look at the log and run it manually it creates the database with 12,5000 records. But apparently perhaps it runs too fast and Phoronix discards the results because it looks like it failed? Not sure on this one.

Timed-Apache needed the tar file.
              X264 needed the soccer file to process.

SO:::: I did the following commands to create links to the needed files from the cache and then they ran:

ln -s /rofs/var/cache/phoronix-test-suite/download-cache/httpd-2.2.11.tar.gz /ho
              me/ptslive/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/build-apache/.
              ln -s /rofs/var/cache/phoronix-test-suite/download-cache/soccer_4cif.y4m /home/pt
              slive/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/x264/.

IN ADDITION: It appears that some of the tests ran faster than the normal tests when run with Ubuntu 9.10... and some of them ran slower. Perhaps it could be the new kernel? Or for some reason the ramdisk is just that much slower than my actual real life hard disk? (Not likely.)

Anyway... I like being able to boot the disk... mark everything and hit GO and then go to bed. NICE.

I think a "run everything" suite would be good to have; I didn't see one.

It would also be good to be able to perhaps label the result that gets uploaded. I merged 3.4Ghz and 3.6Ghz results and uploaded and it says "Custom".

Comment

Debian Or Ubuntu?

Fairly new to Linux so please forgive me for any mistakes.
                Downloaded latest desktop live to test my system.
                Problem: iso states its a debian packages then a few lines later states its not a Debian package

Also get a mount failure and then system hangs

What's going on? How do I use the live CD?

Comment

intel iso?

hi there,

if i go to: http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/?k=pts_desktop_live

and klick the softpedia download link i?m only able to download: pts-desktop-live-2010.1-amd64.iso.

where i?m able to download the intel.iso? (used firefox with adblockplus)

thx so much ^^

Comment

latest kernels

Given that this LiveCD was published last year, how useful would it be for testing a Sandy Bridge rig with a Z68 and no discrete graphics card?
                    Would PTS be smart enough to know it needs the 3.1 DRM kernel?

Comment

Working...
                    X