Linux 2.6.33 Kernel Released, Woohoo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
    I've just compiled a 2.6.33 kernel, but the R700_rlc.bin file was not installed into the firmware directory. I've fetched and installed it manually, and the DRM/DRI2 is working fine(*), but I was expecting this firmware to come with the kernel sources.

Did I miss something?
    New firmware files will not be included in the kernel. Existing firmwares will gradually be deleted from the kernel releases.

Comment

I wonder how long it will take GRSecurity to catch up. Days, probably.

Comment

So how long before packages are available for Ubuntu? I ask because I'm interested in some of the new features but don't want to be troubled with compiling (been there, done that). If I understand right, the next version will ship with 2.6.32, so officially 2.6.33 will come next October, which is a rather long wait. :-o

Comment

Gentoo just released its version of 2.6.33. It works just fine.

The kernel is complaining that my F12 xorg-drv-ati and mesa packages are out of date and broken.
          This warning disappeared after I updated xf86-video-ati, mesa and libdrm to current Git.

Comment

So firmware files will now be found where?

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            New firmware files will not be included in the kernel. Existing firmwares will gradually be deleted from the kernel releases.
            Will firmware now be a separate package to be downloaded from kernel.org? Or is finding firmware turning into some kind of "treasure hunt"?

Comment

I've updated to git xf86-video-ati, but it's not enough

This warning disappeared after I updated xf86-video-ati, mesa and libdrm to current Git.
              I'm slightly more wary of updating libdrm and mesa, but updating the video driver alone is not enough to kill the warning.

Comment

Originally posted by atmartens View Post
                So how long before packages are available for Ubuntu?

Comment

Will firmware now be a separate package to be downloaded from kernel.org? Or is finding firmware turning into some kind of "treasure hunt"?
                  No idea. I guess there will be a central repository for it. But it'll will be a good while before that happens, so no need to worry right now.

Comment

No idea. I guess there will be a central repository for it. But it'll will be a good while before that happens, so no need to worry right now.
                    That would be this one:

Comment

Has anyone tried this kernel version already with Xen as dom0 or domU?

Comment

Working...
                      X