Linux 2.6.33 Kernel Released, Woohoo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.33 Kernel Released, Woohoo!

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.33 Kernel Released, Woohoo!

Now that Linus Torvalds is done rewiring part of his house, he has put out the Linux 2.6.33 kernel release. This update to the Linux kernel that's coming three months after the release of Linux 2.6.32 delivers the Nouveau DRM GPU code in the staging area, many Radeon KMS improvements and it has left the staging area, the new VMware DRM, and much more.Well, that's mostly inside the GPU/DRM area...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh hell yes. Time to go the whole day with another round of updates for my machines.

Comment

does fglrx support this newer kernel ?
      Sorry if i missed a step, but what is the latest kernel version fglrx is supporting ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
        LOL! That was a good one

Comment

I tried last night daily update, I am still having Machine Exception Error. I have filed a bug report 15179. No resolution till date. The last kernel that is working fine on my home machine is 2.6.31-19.

My Machine is nforce2 based MSI 7207: K8NGM2-NBP

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
            Sorry if i missed a step, but what is the latest kernel version fglrx is supporting ?
            Just came out, so not. We will probably see support in 2-3 releases from the last one. Latest fglrx supported kernel is 2.6.32. People have been able to patch fglrx to work with 2.6.33 though, or so I've been told.

Comment

Does the 2.6.34 will bring KMS power managent to Radeon DRM?

Comment

Originally posted by Marx64 View Post
                Does the 2.6.34 will bring KMS power managent to Radeon DRM?
                We'll know when the merge window is over. But I'd be surprised if it didn't bring at least an initial implementation.

Comment

"And some day, I'll actually add the screws that hold the boxes where they are supposed to go, rather than just sitting in a pile on top of each other at the bottom of the box."

Someone please send the screws to linus!!

Comment

Where is the R600/R700_rlc.bin microcode?

I've just compiled a 2.6.33 kernel, but the R700_rlc.bin file was not installed into the firmware directory. I've fetched and installed it manually, and the DRM/DRI2 is working fine(*), but I was expecting this firmware to come with the kernel sources.

Did I miss something?

(*) The kernel is complaining that my F12 xorg-drv-ati and mesa packages are out of date and broken, but I have tear-free video regardless .

Comment

Working...
                    X