Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 3 Comes To Google's Android Platform

Phoronix: Quake 3 Comes To Google's Android Platform

Almost exactly one month ago we reported that Roderick Colenbrander was working on a new open-source project after his once-popular NVClock program has since largely faded away. Details were scarce on the project originally, but we knew it was to do with Linux gaming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IIRC Quake was one of the first games ported to the Dream during its development. I got to see it a few times courtesy of some contacts at Google. It was very difficult to play, even with the trackball on the Dream (aka G1). The frame rate was acceptable, but it did chug.

I'm glad to see that Quake 3 is here. The newer phones can certainly handle it!

Comment

Just checked it out on the Droid. Works pretty well. Difficult to control of course. Worth the 500mbs worth of pk3's on the SD card just for wow factor

Comment

Does it work with OpenArena content?

Comment

Normal ioquake3 is able to run OpenArena well. Kwaak3 should be able to run it as well but I expect it doesn't work on the current build yet. The reason is that I have some checks in to see if all quake3 pak0-pak8.pk3 files are around. I would have to adjust this to get OpenArena working.

Comment

Yes, I looked at the source and I saw these checks. I'm not familiar with Android programming and I don't know how to build it all.

For now I'll try quake 3 demo.

Comment

Dutch creativity

Comment

Working...
              X