Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.10, Ati Mobility Radeon HD 3650, Catalyst 10.2

Hi all,

I'm trying to install the ATI Catalyst 10.2 drivers but with no luck. First I tried doing it the 'automatic' way (where ubuntu prompts me with the choice to install proprietary drivers). Then I tried the steps outlined in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI .

Both cases, I end up with the same situation: After GRUB, the LVM is loaded along with the encrypted disks. But then either the pc freezes with a blinking cursor in the top-left corner, or, X fails to start which results in a terminal prompt that is crazily flashing. In order to get any access back to my OS, I need to run recovery mode to get into root and then manually delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Please throw any suggestions to me as to what I can try to fix this. I don't necessarily have to use the ATI drivers, I'm quite happy using open source drivers as long as they perform well and allow me to use the external DVI output on my docking station.

Thanks.

Originally posted by jabalsad View Post
    Hi all,

I'm trying to install the ATI Catalyst 10.2 drivers but with no luck. First I tried doing it the 'automatic' way (where ubuntu prompts me with the choice to install proprietary drivers). Then I tried the steps outlined in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI .

Both cases, I end up with the same situation: After GRUB, the LVM is loaded along with the encrypted disks. But then either the pc freezes with a blinking cursor in the top-left corner, or, X fails to start which results in a terminal prompt that is crazily flashing. In order to get any access back to my OS, I need to run recovery mode to get into root and then manually delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Please throw any suggestions to me as to what I can try to fix this. I don't necessarily have to use the ATI drivers, I'm quite happy using open source drivers as long as they perform well and allow me to use the external DVI output on my docking station.

Thanks.
    Are you x86 or 64 bit? Also, have you tried installing the 10.1 drivers? Though you have to lookup instructions to get the package generation working, the 10.1 drivers performed way better than the 10.2 drivers (I have an HD 4200). In 10.2 compiz crashed all the time. I did also hear of an issue with sideport and uma memory causing the same issues that you described above with the blinking cursor. If your bios has the option I would suggest trying to use UMA (use ram) for the video memory.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Im running 64-bit ubuntu. I couldn't find the thread on how to get the 10.1 drivers installed. I get to a point where it gives me the following message:
      Code:
      dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for /usr/share/ati/lib64/libQtCore.so.4 (used by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/sbin/amdnotifyui).
      dh_shlibdeps: dpkg-shlibdeps returned exit code 2

Comment

Here's how to get back to the original open-source driver:

If you want to try Catalyst again, this guide usually works well: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

Comment

Good stuff, now I'm back on the open source driver. But, for some reason my external display isn't detected in the System -> Preferences -> Display dialogue. Any ideas?

Comment

Thanks DanL for your assistance. I went through the guide to try the Catalyst driver again, but no luck. There were some hiccups along the road such as renaming the /usr/share/ati/lib64 directory :/ I'm not sure how that impacted the install, but anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X