Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell 2.29 Brings A Lot Of Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME Shell 2.29 Brings A Lot Of Improvements

A few days back we reported on a new Mutter release, which is the window and compositing manager for GNOME 3.0, and now with the GNOME 2.29.91 beta release coming up on Wednesday there is also the release of another new GNOME 3.0 component. Perhaps the single biggest new component for the GNOME 3.x stack is the GNOME Shell and this is the package that just reached version 2.29.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yeeei. Maybe gnome shell will change the desktop perspective in linux.. till now, it is the windows way. Stop critik gnome shell for trying something different!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
      yeeei. Maybe gnome shell will change the desktop perspective in linux.. till now, it is the windows way. Stop critik gnome shell for trying something different!!!
      What's new in Gnome shell compared to KDE plasma and other things?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        What's new in Gnome shell compared to KDE plasma and other things?
        Discoverability of workspaces is much higher. Every time you start an application, you get the opportunity to do stuff with virtual desktops.

And I'm not really sure, but wasn't there an initiative to have those workspaces be part of session management? So you can save the state of a workspace and open it up again later.

Comment

so gnome shell is just the old gnome stuff, just with some fancy new names? Copying KDE without going all the way but selling it as 'big change'.

Comment

And it is a part of the window manager thus forcing you to abadaon all other window managers....

Comment

Gnome is left further and further in the dust and sucks and I wish it would die.

Comment

I wish Ubuntu would drop that crap.

Comment

omfg......

Comment

I didn't try it, yet. But well, as long as it it optional... It's all about choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X