Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Still To Make OpenSolaris Changes

Phoronix: Oracle Still To Make OpenSolaris Changes

Since Oracle finished its acquisition of Sun Microsystems, there have been many changes to the open-source projects that were once supported under Sun now being discontinued by Oracle and significant changes being made to the remaining open-source products. One of the open-source projects that Oracle hasn't been too open about their intentions with has been OpenSolaris...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Somebody's going to try to push for a fork if OpenSolaris is left to rot...

Comment

Personally, I am more concerned about VirtualBox

Comment

Stagnation

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
        Somebody's going to try to push for a fork if OpenSolaris is left to rot...
        OpenSolaris really needs to change to a 6 month release schedule. That is why Ubuntu gets all the attention, release after release are pounded out on schedule. Personally, any longer than 6 months and stuff starts to stagnate.

Comment

I wonder if this will entail moving beyond GCC3.

Comment

Originally posted by gsacks View Post
            Personally, I am more concerned about VirtualBox
            Agreed. I haven't used OpenSolaris, but I use Solaris 10 on my work machine every day. It's fine, but nothing special. Linux works fine as an alternative for me on the machines I'm able to control for myself.

VirtualBox is much more important to me, as it gives me a free, open, and common platform for all of my virtualization needs on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS. Without it, I'd either need to hope for Wine (or its alternatives) to always work, or I'd end up shelling out cash for multiple VMWare licenses (one for each host machine/OS combination).

Comment

I'm currently running OpenSolaris b133 (released at the weekend) on my laptop. 2010.03 is to be based off b134 as far as I know. To put this in context 2009.06 is based on build 111b. Usually there is a two week window between Build releases, so they should be able to ship 2010.03 within March.

As for the Oracle page this is for people who get paid OpenSolaris support. Never been an issue for me as (a) I don't run it in production (b) I track the dev repo (think Rawhide in Redhat parlance)

To check what's changed ye can always look at the "Flag days" page which details changes that have gone into Builds. So just a matter of looking at the builds since 111 (2009.06).
              http://static.opensolaris.org/on/flagdays/

Likewise for the x11 consolidation:
              http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/...win/changelogs

Some of the nice things to have gone in include:
              ZFS Deduplication
              zpool split (split your "raid1" zpool into two seperate pools)
              Gnome 2.28
              X.org 7.5
              GEM support for Intel driver
              Boomer -- new sound architecture based on OSS v4
              ISCSI improvements including boot support
              Fibre Channel Target for Comstar (build your own FC SAN)
              More network/audio drivers
              Virtual Terminal support (hey it's a big thing for Solaris)
              Perl 5.10
              Xen 3.4 (xVM)
              Using ksh93 to produce a busybox equivalent
              ls modernisation (solaris ls now supports --color etc.)

The other page I tend to keep an eye on is the ARC case page. For example here are all the ARC cases for 2010/2009 so far along with reference material.
              http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/year/2010.html
              http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/year/2009.html

Comment

thanks, Dubhthach

Nothing to add expect maybe that os thrives for a ~~8 Month release schedule afaik. The blocker bugs in defect.os.o may be of interest to some, too.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                  OpenSolaris really needs to change to a 6 month release schedule. That is why Ubuntu gets all the attention, release after release are pounded out on schedule. Personally, any longer than 6 months and stuff starts to stagnate.
                  I dont understand what you mean? Could you clarify?

OpenSolaris builds are released every two weeks. Every 6 months, the current OpenSolaris build is tested and then released as "2008.11" or "2009.06" or "2010.03", etc. Maybe you didnt knew that?

And I doubt someone knowledgable would say that OpenSolaris development stagnates. The development is extremely rapid: Crossbow, ZFS deduplication, Comstar, etc

Comment

Not sure correct things are being put together here

I actually doubt end of SXCE is related to Oracle. To me the reasons seems to be technical in nature: <http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/...+on/ON+IPS+FAQ>. Once that happens SXCE is impossible as some critical packages are no longer available in the correct format for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X