Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 0.8 Is Ready For Release

Phoronix: NetworkManager 0.8 Is Ready For Release

NetworkManager, the free software project that's backed by Red Hat and used by many distributions for easily managing network connections from the Linux desktop, is ready for its version 0.8 milestone. NetworkManager 0.7 is getting old and while NetworkManager 0.7.1 brought some improvements last year, the 0.8 release is rather exciting.NetworkManager 0.8 delivers on much more solid bluetooth support, integration with ModemManager for providing better mobile broadband / cellular connection support, removal of HAL support (similar to X.Org dropping HAL due to its deprecation), proper IPv6 support, and many other improvements.The official NetworkManager 0.8 release announcement has yet to come, but the 0.8.0 release is tagged in Git and as such the snapshot of it is available from the FreeDesktop.org Git repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

will it have WPA support?
    or will you still need wpa_supplicant and you to mess around with it?
    (maybe i was just too dumb to get it working on gentoo, but i think i read it simply wasnt supported)

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
      (maybe i was just too dumb to get it working on gentoo, but i think i read it simply wasnt supported)
      wpa_supplicant on Gentoo doesn't even need configuration when used with NetworkManager. I've been using NM on Gentoo for quite some time now.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
        wpa_supplicant on Gentoo doesn't even need configuration when used with NetworkManager. I've been using NM on Gentoo for quite some time now.
        so it seems the last case has appeared to be true. (too dumb)
        thx, ill try next time i get gentoo.
        just is it a diference whether you use it with gnome or kde? im not sure its the same program...

Comment

I wish they'd build in 56k dialup support into network manager. Most of the current linux solutions for this suck and it's time that changed.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
            I wish they'd build in 56k dialup support into network manager. Most of the current linux solutions for this suck and it's time that changed.
            Who still needs 56k?

Seems very few people still use that nowadays, with wifi and broadband connections quite abundant.

Comment

Is there any word on the promised bonding/bridging support?

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                motivating developers for that is gonna be a hell of a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  It has supported wpa for a loooooooooooong time already ....

Comment

Magnatude of the suckage

And the burning question:

Will this version suck less? I have to admit I'm happy with wicd, and would be unlikely to switch my current machine, but I'd like to be able to leave NetworkManager on there when it comes preinstalled.

Comment

Working...
                    X