Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accelerated Full HD video: pipe dream or possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerated Full HD video: pipe dream or possible?

Greetings people.

I'll soon be purchasing an HTPC to replace my existing server & laptop, both of which are on their way out.

It looks like the deciding factor will come down to acceptable rendering of Full HD video. I currently have a dual-core Athlon 64 and an r600, and rendering of Full HD content is very poor. The CPU utilisation sits at 100%, and the video stutters badly. I won't go into details, because I'm not after support on this issue. I grudgingly accept the current state of affairs.

I'm actually looking at systems with lower specs that my current one ( slower CPU, possibly an Intel Atom, but with an r600 or later chip ). Completely unaccelerated CPU rendering is not an option.

nVidia now has VDPAU, and the apps I'm interested in support this. What's the story in open-source land, in particular for r600+ chips? I know there is some accelerated decoding in the ATI binary driver, but frankly if it comes to using a binary driver, I'll use nVidia's. Are there plans for VDPAU support? What are people's best guesses at a timeline? If it's 2 or 3 years off, and it's quite possible that I'll be buying another system before support arrives, then it would be good to know that now, so I can make an informed choice.

Cheers

Dan

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

This has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum. Basically the info to do video decode in the open source drivers is available, but no one has done the work yet to enable it.

Comment

Working...
      X