Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutter Moves Ahead With New Release

Phoronix: Mutter Moves Ahead With New Release

While Mutter should reach version 2.30 with the release of GNOME 2.30 at the end of next month, this evening the Mutter 2.29.0 release has entered the world. This new version of Mutter offers improved appearance of scaled down windows using mipmap emulation, new signals and properties, merging of Metacity changes since the 2.26 release, and many fixes (for crashes, build, and bugs)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Compositing optional?

Is OpenGL support optional? Can you turn off compositing, when on battery power, or is Mutter a compositing-only wm like Compiz?

Comment

AFAIK the Clutter toolkit uses OpenGL for rendering, not just compositing. Unless there's an option to render some other way that means you need OpenGL all the time.
      Test signature

Comment

I think they should make Compiz the default WM for Gnome. Ubuntu uses it as default, when possible. And as of the new 0.9 Version it also supports non-composited rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
          Is OpenGL support optional? Can you turn off compositing, when on battery power, or is Mutter a compositing-only wm like Compiz?
          Many interesting applications require a compositor these days (and that's a good thing) but you can always fall back Metacity if need be.

Obligatory flame: I thought Gnome was a dead project? Why do they keep pushing updates noone wants?

Comment

Originally posted by Zapp! View Post
            1) No
            2) No and you should not need to do so, if the compositor eats more power it is broken and needs to be fixed (ideally when using a cm it only redraws the parts that changed on screen so it should use _less_ power)
            3) Yes a non composting mutter is metacity

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Obligatory flame: I thought Gnome was a dead project? Why do they keep pushing updates noone wants?
              Because they spend there time improving the platform, writing code etc. .. doing releases is part of that.

Instead of wasting time on trolling (i.e like you do).

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                I think they should make Compiz the default WM for Gnome. Ubuntu uses it as default, when possible. And as of the new 0.9 Version it also supports non-composited rendering.
                Why would a compositing WM (Compiz) support non-composited rendering? Something doesn't add up here.

Or did you mean composited, non-OpenGL rendering (e.g. via an XRender backend?) I can see the appeal of that, but only insofar as OpenGL drivers are buggy.

Comment

Sarcasm

Originally posted by Dragoran View Post
                  Because they spend there time improving the platform, writing code etc. .. doing releases is part of that.

Instead of wasting time on trolling (i.e like you do).
                  Don't feed the troll!
                  Last edited by BlackStar; 19 February 2010, 11:34 AM. Reason: Also, sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Don't feed the troll!
                    Sorry should have had some coffee before replying to you (i.e my sarcasm detector failed )

Comment

Working...
                    X