Originally posted by energyman View Post
      and which fix is arch using?
      fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch
      or
      xserver-xorg-backclear.patch
      ?
      fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch

Comment

not good. xserver-xorg-backclear.patch is the superior solution which reduces distortion and corruption to zero.

But hey, it's arch - at least they are doing something.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          not good. xserver-xorg-backclear.patch is the superior solution which reduces distortion and corruption to zero.

But hey, it's arch - at least they are doing something.
          Good to know, thanks.
          But unfortunately right now theres no arch user that has got system with all old necessary packages to build a xorg-server with this patch
          Nobody even dreamed that this no xorg-server 1.7 support situation will be sooo long.
          Next time we will be wiser...
          Also arch is a rolling distro and we really like new packages.
          That's the main reason why arch dropped catalyst support.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
            Easier to "port over" from the Windows Catalyst driver than implementing EXA? Both driver sets do share a lot of their base. Mr. B also lets us constantly know that since fglrx is mostly targeted to their workstation clients, I would imagine that implementing something that would require a drastic change in support would not be a great idea.

2.6.32 works since the 10.1 driver.
            I doubt there is any direct relationship between the names and the code. EXA is an acceleration architecture that is tied to the Open Source drivers. Even intel moved away from it and created UXA.

The better way to think about it is !XAA. !XAA = NV's 2D, EXA (for Radeon), UXA (for Intel) and D2D (for ATI).

Talking about EXA is needed for this or that, is no different than saying DRI2 is needed for this or that. They are Open Source architectures for Open Source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by krionius View Post
              Okay, so summarizing:

with Direct2DAccel:

- not too much faster but slightly faster 2D with compiz
              - rendering glitches
              - suspend/resume is borked, full freeze ! (without it it works!)

Well, i'm beginning to fear that this year's gonna be more like disaster than great improvement in 2d and catalyst... amd/ati hope you know what you're doing...
              Direct2D is not going to be officially announced/enabled until Catalyst 10.4 or 10.5. Do you honestly think that it isn't getting faster

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Direct2D is not going to be officially announced/enabled until Catalyst 10.4 or 10.5. Do you honestly think that it isn't getting faster
                well i wont keep hopes to be working that early, if fglrx follow its normal dev cycle, well expect something barely useful in maybe 12.3 serie or well could be earlier if they hire a QA expert that actually now something about coding lol. mmm in catalyst 14.3 we should expect the basic support for unigine tessalation demo too (i hope nvidia release fermi fast so unigine can release that awesome demo for linux without have to wait another 2 years for amd to provide something at least varely working to release it). about wine/Xserver/etc issues reported well guys wait for mesa 7.8/8 (almost gl 2.0 fully working so 2.1 should be here soon) or buy nvidia cuz when fglrx actually fix all the zillion issues, bug, poor implementations, lack of QA, etc, etc the driver will only support the 2 years old octagpu/ddr8/8 gb Radeon HD 10000 series up to the new 12000 serie only, so you will have to go to the OSS driver anyway or again buy an current nvidia card for that time, so just save yourself from an ulcera

about the OSS is getting exponencially better every daily git checkout, i use daily in my laptop (rs690) and desktop (r700) and the only missing thing is the step needed for GL 2.1 and better PM cuz 2d is outstandingly fast, same as video and Xrender/EXA (Xrender have gotten so fast that my kde 4.4 render faster in xrender composite than GL in my r700 system). so big kudos here to amd and the OSS comunity. in the OSS driver even html5 and Flash are stable and smooth even in fullscreen and multi monitor set up, again big kudos OSS guy

My advise to amd here is for god sake stop using the already bugged windows code in fglrx(yes windows catalyst is better than linux but is very far to compete with nvidia too, aka crossfire scale issues, uvd2 nasty hangs, poor gpgpu support at least for comercial stuff, hdmi overscan are just wrong to name few but at least is workable unlike fglrx) and rebase the fglrx using the OSS like codeish and gallium lol. linux users only need fast 2d, stable composite, opencl, and a good GL implementation let the community do the rest OR just promote the OSS driver and focus a bit harder to get stuff like opencl and pm so you can leave fglrx for firegl station only for commercial workstation and stuff.

in fact i buyed windvd 10 pro to watch my bluray movies and i had to buy and gts 240 nvidia card to get gpgpu scaling to work cuz in win7 x64 latest updates and catalyst 9.8/10.2 just hangs, get a beatiful black screen or restart the OS in the good days, in bad days the windows just fallback to the microsoft driver and remove catalyst. so my 4670 goes to my little bother pc for his games, at least for gaming is good enough not superb but for games is fine

Comment

Ubuntu Karmic + Compiz + Cairo-dock.

A completely mess. Cairo has a black rectangle behind the icons. Compiz stops working and freezes the system. Back to 9.12.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
                    Ubuntu Karmic + Compiz + Cairo-dock.

A completely mess. Cairo has a black rectangle behind the icons. Compiz stops working and freezes the system. Back to 9.12.
                    What video card?

Comment

Originally posted by krionius View Post
                      what video card?
                      ati hd4200

Comment

Working...
                      X