AMD Catalyst 10.2 For Linux Gets Direct2D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not gong back to AMD video anytime soon

Yep, sure glad that I got away from ATI/AMD video when I did. I would go as far a paying more on my next laptop to make sure that it has Nvidia or at least Intel.

I still like there CPU chips (Good and cheap), but the video card drivers ruin good hardware on Linux, it ashame.

Part of me wishes they would fix this, cause they have better performance for the price, but it's not worth the circus they call a Linux driver.

Comment

wait wait? users using catalyst drivers report disappointing results?

Comment

Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
        Haha still no support for the ancient xserver 1.7.x

Proper opengl 2.1 support for free drivers can't come soon enough
        In the roadmap of Mesa, Mesa-7.8 will get OpenGL 2.0 and GLSL 1.20 for R600/R700

I backport Mesa snapshot from F-13 to F-12. Here is an screenshot.

Comment

Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
          Haha still no support for the ancient xserver 1.7.x

Proper opengl 2.1 support for free drivers can't come soon enough
          In the roadmap of Mesa, Mesa-7.8 will get OpenGL 2.0 and GLSL 1.20 for R600/R700

I backport Mesa snapshot from F-13 to F-12. Here is an screenshot.

Comment

I am so sorry that I post the same tips twice. One of tips contain such a big photo.

I have no right to edit it again. Does any administrator help me edit them?

Comment

Originally posted by elmo23x View Post
              for me it is broken...
              KDE 4.4 will not start with my 5770.
              Same here on ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 running Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE 4.4 PPA on x86_64: Will hang after KDM login with just one of the icons being displayed in KDM splash screen.

Back to fglx 10.1 for the time being. At least the installer didn't require symbol link tweaking, but --buildpkg Ubuntu/karmic just worked out of the box. At least somebody at ATI touched the driver and didn't just recompile against the latest shared with Windows Code

Comment

Originally posted by 7oby View Post
                Same here on ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 running Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE 4.4 PPA on x86_64: Will hang after KDM login with just one of the icons being displayed in KDM splash screen.

Back to fglx 10.1 for the time being. At least the installer didn't require symbol link tweaking, but --buildpkg Ubuntu/karmic just worked out of the box. At least somebody at ATI touched the driver and didn't just recompile against the latest shared with Windows Code
                I have exactly the same software... and the same problem
                I wonder what is wrong exactly.

Comment

with Direct2D 2D is amazingly fast (compared to the past) - please improve it !

unfortunately there are lots of glitches:

*) Direct2D (2D) and compositing are mutually exclusive
                  when you start compiz after using 2D it won't load (compiz segfaults)
                  [ 2937.504215] compiz[22420]: segfault at 7fc94c5d1a08 ip 00007fc94a497fb5 sp 00007fff394264e0 error 7 in libGL.so.1.2[7fc94a41d000+9f000]

*) some apps seems to have problems with it: tomboy and klipper (kde4.4, qt4.6) aren't loaded anymore on startup (in gnome)

*) not every/all operations seem to be accelerated yet (e.g. konqueror's output is somewhat slow)

*) proof for the speed: Complex graphics in peacekeeper browser benchmark (with 5770): Complex graphics 5876, 5266 vs. 7100 (around 6000 vs. around 7000)

*) no lags during moving windows crazily on the screen (content is being displayed correctly) on 1920x1200 resolution (improvement)

Comment

*) video playback seems to be fine (haven't tried accelerated video output yet)

Comment

*) compositing is TOTALLY BROKEN (with Direct2D disabled) !
                      so either Direct2D or nothing

*) it hardlocks during logging out - so stay away from this release if you don't want to use Direct2D only and hard-reset your box if you need to restart

Comment

Working...
                      X