No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 10.2 For Linux Gets Direct2D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*) the old 2d acceleration framework works but without compositing it's only half the fun - so if you don't need compositing or Direct2D it should work ...

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      2.6.32 works since the 10.1 driver.
      Tanks for the info!

Cheers,
      mibo

Comment

In regards to the hardlocks, I've been able to ssh in and do a reboot. so somethings improved over time. :P

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
          In regards to the hardlocks, I've been able to ssh in and do a reboot. so somethings improved over time. :P
          Regarding hard locks: try this out. It works well for me. Make sure your session runs

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

You can use the old killX11 3 fingered salute (control-alt-backspace) instead of logging out and X will exit (and gdm re-start) cleanly. The 3-fingered salute will be too late if you've already done the logout and the GPU is frozen, of course.

GPU locks on X11 session exit are just something we learn to live with using fglrx.

Comment

pls, someone with a working direct2dAccel share /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file here! I can't get aticonfig do anythin on my mobility 5650 as its officially unsupported, so i can get a working config file without your help. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by krionius View Post
              pls, someone with a working direct2dAccel share /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file here! I can't get aticonfig do anythin on my mobility 5650 as its officially unsupported, so i can get a working config file without your help. thanks
              editing it mannualy didnt help, so i guess there are other settings beside the Direct2DAccel line in the file...so share it pls.

Comment

Here you go:

Comment

Direct2DAccel=STRUE
                  interesting. only tried V1 and TRUE. let me see..

it works! Thanks Melcar.

So what kind of tests do you recommend?

Here's the distort i got using d2daccel on hd5650:

window resize is indeed faster. compiz + gnome works okayish, but garbled parts are present..testing further.

any 2d tests recommended?

Comment

Seems like this breaks some SDL related things! If I run Eschalon Book I out of vsync while compiz runs (doing a su - loginid and run the game) it gives black display. In full screen (unredirected) it works okay again.

If running vsynced it still flickers like hell, so the 'su -' workaround is not working for Eschalon. Interestingly NWN1 works okay!

I hope this kind of new acceleration just won't break thing more when it goes 'default'... as of now it breaks further the already slightly working fragile things.

Comment

btw, i can approve that resizing/maximizing feels a bit quicker.

Comment

Working...
                      X